Dealing with grease

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What do you do with cooking fat?

The liquid fat left on the griddle, or dripping down the grill. It can be a lot. Making burgers can leave me with 2-3 cups or a quart depending on quantity.

Pouring it down the drain can cause the pipes to clog.
Letting it drip to the ground is nasty and invites hords of flies and worse.
This may seem basic but I must have slept through this bbq lesson.

What is the better way to get rid of it?

I save a couple of leftover containers a week (olives, yogurt, things like that) and place them in the offset's grease bucket. When they're full I screw a cap on them and take them to the cooking oil waste disposal thing, we have one in every supermarket

I save mayo jars and lids or any similar size jar. Fill them up, screw lid tight, in the garbage that goes to an incinerator that they use in my area.

I pour mine in empty plastic milk/juice containers and place in freezer and throw them out on trash day.

Figure if frozen less chance they can leak out before trash pickup.

Any empty container that's destined for the trash already is usually kept for grease drippings. I've used OJ, Milk, mayo,--whatever is empty.

I have woods on my property so when I use my WSM with water; that water gets dumped in the woods.

OK. It seems I'm going to collect some disposable containers from now on.
Thanks for the tips. It sounds like a good way to get rid of it.

We don't have any disposal or incinerator facility. So they will be dumped in the regular garbage.

Be sure the grease has cooled down some before putting in container.
In my early cooking days, I poured some hot bacon grease into an empty jelly jar. When I picked up the jar, the bottom stayed on the table. What a mess!

I line my grills' collection cups with cheap foil, let them harden overnight, and into the garbage. Quick, easy, and no mess. Haven't cleaned my grease cups yet.

In the house, all grease goes into repurposed glass jars (pickles, peppers, etc)

Outside on the smoker, I foil line and just wad it up.

All ends up going into the trash can.

I must be weird, I cook all my meat in a tin pan with a rack on it. The meat never touches the grill grates or have any grease/drippings in the smoker. Cleanup is easy, just toss the pan. We buy the half steam pans from Sam's just for this.

Yeah, I had a plastic container full leak in my big garbage can once. What a freakin/stinkin mess (the flies loved it though). Obviously I had to clean the heck out of the can.

I now use glass or plastic containers but double wrap them in garbage bags now before they go in the trash (wrap in an empty bag and throw it in with a full bag) just to be safe.

It goes to the curb mixed with charcoal dust.
I never reuse half burnt coals. They burn to nothing too quickly.
5C939C29-CAE6-475E-A1D4-A7D95669602D.jpg

any grease i scrape off the bottom of the cooker I put in a empty jar I saved with lid and just throw it in the trash when full .

Back