MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Lightbulb Community Project: Designing the Ultimate High-Tech Smoker

So, I was driving back home from my uncle's house earlier today and I passed by the same 2 heating oil tanks I've been seeing outside this auto repair shop for the past 4 years.

I decided to finally call the shop and see if they were for sale or not. Well, that got me to thinking- what if there were absolutely no limits to what you could use to build a smoker? You had limitless resources at your disposal and money was no object?

What kind of exotic materials would you use if you had every known metal, insulation, etc available to you?

I thought it would be cool to see what the brilliant minds on the best BBQ forum on the net couldcome up with. So have at it! Nothing is off limits! And feel free to upload pics and sketches of your ideas!

By the way, those 2 oil tanks were not for sale, but the shop owner told me to check back in a couple of months. His brother gets them from his HVAC business and is trying to find him a bigger one. If he does find a bigger one, the owner said he'd let me "have" the 2 littler ones. More on that as it develops...

Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

1st, you've got set out some design parameters. The design of a personal smoker would be different than trailer unit would be different than a commercial unit.

Size?

Portable or fixed?

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Not that handy, or cook for larger groups. So somewhat portable, easy to clean, insulated, either stainless or powder coated, a few gizmos to aid in temp/fire control.

I'd probably just call Spicewine if I had the money
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

here an idea im doing with a pit, smoker and direct cooking on a trailer, 2 sided
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1933679
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd say personal but large enough to cook for a party. Portability isn't necessarily needed, but i think pretty much any design could be tweaked to sit on a towable trailer. I'm also thinking of a deeper unit with a rib-o-lator type setup. Similar to a heating oil tank, but laying on the flat side.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Is build this.

Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

That is one seriously nice trailer. What do you do about the rain with respect to the counter top section where the sinks are? I have been wrestling with this part of my design.

Sean: Being a software/IT manager by trade and former programmer, most of my smoker design is rather modular in nature as you may have observed so far. I also don't know what I don't know yet about doing the competition thing so some of the basic components are easy to remove from the trailer with a couple bolts, or fasteners. I also wanted the option of removing the items from the trailer in case I wanted to make the unit more for just home personal use. I can reuse the trailer I am rebuilding to haul my ATV or a friends snowmobile around if I wanted to.

I would agree with others and think about what all the combinations of use you might have and then go from there. I am presently working on how to get a three sink setup along with hotwater supply and grey water collection system attached to my project for later on. Might want to cater at some point and these two items are part of the standard health code requirements in my state and local ordinances.

"OMOSB"
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=123061

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 02-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Additional comments.
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I want the ultimate "no-tech" smoker!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
I want the ultimate "no-tech" smoker!
Here you go...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
That is one seriously nice trailer. What do you do about the rain with respect to the counter top section where the sinks are? I have been wrestling with this part of my design.

Sean: Being a software/IT manager by trade and former programmer, most of my smoker design is rather modular in nature as you may have observed so far. I also don't know what I don't know yet about doing the competition thing so some of the basic components are easy to remove from the trailer with a couple bolts, or fasteners. I also wanted the option of removing the items from the trailer in case I wanted to make the unit more for just home personal use. I can reuse the trailer I am rebuilding to haul my ATV or a friends snowmobile around if I wanted to.

I would agree with others and think about what all the combinations of use you might have and then go from there. I am presently working on how to get a three sink setup along with hotwater supply and grey water collection system attached to my project for later on. Might want to cater at some point and these two items are part of the standard health code requirements in my state and local ordinances.

"OMOSB"
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=123061
I don't think it has ever seen the rain. It is stored indoors.

Oh and its not mine, belongs to a buddy of mine.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber

Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Good topic! I have a question I would like to through in (I think I know the answer but ya never know).
I work in Carbon Fibre. Could sheet Carbon Fibre be used for a cabinet smoker rather than steel, therefore making it lighter? The outer walls would definately be prettier. No rust problems. Just wondering with regards to the resin used to cure in the first place etc

Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
Good topic! I have a question I would like to through in (I think I know the answer but ya never know).
I work in Carbon Fibre. Could sheet Carbon Fibre be used for a cabinet smoker rather than steel, therefore making it lighter? The outer walls would definately be prettier. No rust problems. Just wondering with regards to the resin used to cure in the first place etc
Carbon fiber wouldn't be a good combustion chamber material.

Metal or brick is really needed to for protection, thermal mass, and reradiating the heat.

I think the ultimate (besides one with all the sinks and cutting boards and xbox 360s) would be a brick pit on wheels.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
I work in Carbon Fibre. Could sheet Carbon Fibre be used for a cabinet smoker raer than steel, therefore making it lighter? The outer walls would definately be prettier. No rust problems. Just wondering with regards to the resin used to cure in the first place etc

Look at the msds sheets for the resin, there are some high temperature cf resins.

Cost might be an issue though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Will do thanks

Tags
build, community project, design