MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #9661
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
I have used my PBC twice since I last posted and tried lighting it using a chimney as recommended by others. I also rotated the coal basket after 90 minutes of cooking. The food was very good but the PBC didn't really work much differently. The coals still burned a little sluggishly.
As has been said already, the chimney makes a lot of difference, it will do it's job given enough time. If success is eluding you, give everything more time.

Also, the common conception about putting all the hot coals in the middle of the fuel sounds good but when I see how much influence the air vent has on the burn pattern, I believe putting my coals on the far side of the basket and that away from the vent makes more sense - to me. This is not a Weber Kettle.

Quote:
I guess i will try letting the coals really get going before putting on the meat which is counter to Noah's instruction video. Also i will go from 75% to 100% open on the air vent.
Really, this is the determining factor even if you have problems with anything else. With the lid off, the PBC will chew through fuel and build up BTUs like crazy. You want a strong, robust fire going. investing time and patience here will pay off throughout the cook.

The PBC is not making decisions for you like a pellet cooker, it passively manages what you have provided. It can't improve anything, it is a limiting device. Give it something to limit.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #9662
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Well i made a porketta on the PBC yesterday and everything went as planned. i used the suggestions given in this thread and then waited an extra 10 minutes or so before putting on the meat & putting on the lid. The tenderloin was only on for 2 hours but the fire was consistent and smoke was coming out of the rebar holes the entire time. Thanks for the tips- they worked! One last question- do i have to buy a subscription to be able to post pics?
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #9663
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Grub sounds outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
One last question- do i have to buy a subscription to be able to post pics?
Not at all. Here's a great resource - How to post pictures Thread.

Cheers!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #9664
jhawklver
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default Testing ability to post pictures

First cook, Ribs. I learned I need to learn how to cut ribs but the finished product was awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_071329.jpg (79.7 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_122057.jpg (62.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_124340.jpg (71.4 KB, 297 views)
jhawklver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #9665
jhawklver

Default Second Cook

Decided to smoke a Pork Butt. This is all new territory but was very happy with the finished product - first two cooks and just followed Noah's instructions, worked perfectly (using KBB and lighting as he shows with chimney).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190608_200050.jpg (115.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190608_201021.jpg (115.3 KB, 290 views)

Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #9666
jhawklver

Default Today

Watching my fellow Jayhawk lead the US Open (I'm on DVR so hopefully he still is when I type this...

Today I decided to cook a bunch of chicken, with some assorted brats and pork loins (are those the "fatty" that everyone says? I think it is). Mainly wanted to maximize the coals between lunch (wings) and dinner (chicken quarters, potatoes and corn on the cob).

When I started, today, my temp was way higher than the first two. Mainly due to wind I think. But, I was cooking wings so I didn't care too much. I think I had them on a bit too long but they were damn good. I mixed a bit of Gates Extra hot with wing sauce and liked it - the Gates extra spicy is pretty hot but no one else was eating and I like it hot.

Middle of the day was for boring stuff. Not much to show, didn't take pictures, etc. I did start potatoes and corn towards the end of this. Potatoes were great but I think some were too big, as some weren't cooked all the way through. Started with these hung, but moved it to grate when chicken quarters went on.

Lots of temp fluctuations and I'm learning still. Skin on chicken wasn't crisp enough but all in all a good day and a third week with tons of leftovers to keep me from eating out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_111455.jpg (95.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_133700.jpg (78.2 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190616_181404.jpg (68.1 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_182306.jpg (68.7 KB, 293 views)

Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #9667
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

Dang that all looks good!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #9668
Goose52
Knows what a fatty is.

i usually post pics with google photos but it doesn't seem to work here; photobucket charges now so here is an attempt with flickr:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gfx27w]

ah, success! thanks for the helpful link, shadow! but as you can see in the pic that's a fairly pitiful bed of coals in my cooker. i will let the basket really get going before i put the meat on in the future and i think i'll be good. again, i appreciate all the replies, and i'm enjoying the forum and the ppl here.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #9669
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I use imgur. Free and pretty easy.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #9670
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

It looks like the Pit Barrel Jr is off the market, the website only lists the Classic Pit Barrel for sale

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #9671
Servo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
It looks like the Pit Barrel Jr is off the market, the website only lists the Classic Pit Barrel for sale
Yeah, the Jr hasn't really been available this year. Was for a short time but then there was a recall. Supposedly end of year it may return.
Blackstone 28 Griddle[/FONT]
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #9672
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

I have read all the pages on this thread and I have to say seeing the cooks that have been done (especially from Sako) it would seem that if your only going to have 1 cooker this would be the one to have.

What do you all think?

Weber 26, PBC Jr
Fat Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #9673
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jim View Post
I have read all the pages on this thread and I have to say seeing the cooks that have been done (especially from Sako) it would seem that if your only going to have 1 cooker this would be the one to have.

What do you all think?

Probably the wrong website to be asking about only having one cooker hahaha.

That being said, I believe most would say a Weber Kettle but I am biased towards the PBC.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #9674
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Probably the wrong website to be asking about only having one cooker hahaha.

That being said, I believe most would say a Weber Kettle but I am biased towards the PBC.
I have a Weber 22 and a PBC Classic. My needs are met (and then some)!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 AM   #9675
Jackson Boys BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My PBC and my kettle have become my 2 main cookers. It’s hard to beat the flavor of ribs off the PBC. I just hang to desired color and bark, then wrap for tenderness (my wife likes them more tender). In fact, my wife requests food specifically off the PBC.

As far as lighting, I used a modified large coffee can and place my lit coals inside that, which rests right in the middle of the unlit coals. Then I just lift the can out and wala! a perfectly lit center that burns evenly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C710CB9-CBAF-47B2-908C-F378483011C7.jpg (58.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DD841A5E-9DDC-42CA-A210-7A3F75B67EF4.jpg (54.6 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Jackson Boys BBQ; 06-29-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Jackson Boys BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it