MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
302smoke
Got Wood.

Default Insulated Fire Box worth it if SmokingChamber isn't?

I'm looking at Lonestargrillz 30" vertical smoker. I can option for the fire box to be insulated for about 600. The rest of the unit will not be insulated. Is it worth it? Would the insulated fire chamber help me cook with charcoal or will all the heat just escape through the 1/4 inch smoking box? Thanks in advance.
302smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

I personally vote for an insulated firebox. I have one on my custom built smoker. I would not have any other way!
Custom 24"x60" Insulated Offset
36" Assassin Grill
48" Custom Assassin Grill
A whole family of Webers.
Smokin' Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Insulated fireboxes are definitely worth it.

These are the only disadvantages that I can think of:
Cost
You lose the grill option
You lose the ability to heat stuff up on top of the firebox, like a pot of beans
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

I just got the 24" Lonestar vertical w/ insulated firebox.

I only did a 4 hour seasoning session so far in ~50 degree weather, but running the pit between 225-275, I could definitely tell that it was consuming less wood. I do plan to also try it with the charcoal basket.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302smoke View Post
I'm looking at Lonestargrillz 30" vertical smoker. I can option for the fire box to be insulated for about 600. The rest of the unit will not be insulated. Is it worth it? Would the insulated fire chamber help me cook with charcoal or will all the heat just escape through the 1/4 inch smoking box? Thanks in advance.
Im sure that Chris could give you some good guidance. I personally opted for an oven over the firebox on a off set, in the hopes of capturing the extra (wasted) heat. If your upright is heated from below, then I would say it is well worth it, if you are using an upright with an offset, I would inquire about the oven and using a 1/2 box for quicker return times and longer life.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
302smoke
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for your input. Militant, is it top heavy or unstable? I will be stopping by their location in December. Hopefully they have one being built when I get there so I can really check it out. They look great on YouTube.
302smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
superdan
Full Fledged Farker

I wish my offset had an insulated fire box.
superdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd want an insulated FB if it was an option but. $600 extra seems steep to me.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302smoke View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Militant, is it top heavy or unstable? I will be stopping by their location in December. Hopefully they have one being built when I get there so I can really check it out. They look great on YouTube.
I got the feeling it was somewhat evenly weighted when wheeling it around my front sidewalk and rear patio... likely because the firebox is double walled (1/4" x 2 w/ insulation in between)all around .. and I got the charcoal tray and that tray is extremely thick and heavy. If the word "pan" gives a connotation of thin & light, then this is the total opposite of a pan.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't want to high jack this thread and if appropriate will start a new one, but since insulated fireboxes offer a nice efficiency increase from multiple points of interest, how do you guys feel about using those temperature control devices such as the guru and are they really worth it. I personally, look at it from the perspective of consistency is better and a good nights rest is a plus.... Thoughts all??

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

I can say that the cookers that I built with the insulated boxes that there is no need for a guru to control temp. The last 3 cooks I did on my cooker the temp cruised at 300 with no problem. Once you learn the dampers and the amount of fire needed they cruse like a UDS. Just have to add wood once per hour or so. It depends on what temp you cook at.
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote