Beef Shoulder Clod - how big are they?

CitySmoker

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm planning to cook my first whole shoulder this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how it will fit in my smoker. I'm actually more concerned with the height of the cut since I want to be able to use the upper shelf for something else. I can't let all that good smoke go to waste if I can fit something else in there! (Turkey legs?)

Anyway, does anyone know the dimensions on a 21lb beef shoulder? Thanks for the help!

I have never actually measured a clod. However here is a honest 33 pound monster sitting on a 36x16 pan. It should give you a general idea.

Last edited:
I normally cut them into a couple of smaller pieces when I get them that big. The length at that weight is similar to a 16 lb packer (about 24 inches), but the height is more like a large pork butt almost the entire length of the cut.

Smart and Final sometimes has 20 pounders. I saw one last week. It's about twice the since of a 10 pound pork shoulder.

And, are you gonna bring some of that clod to the bash in October?

I appreciate the replies fellas. I knew these things were big but didn't know they got up to 33 lbs! I think i'll skip using the upper tray in my smoker - it really barely clears a pork butt as is. Let you know how it works out!

Smart and Final sometimes has 20 pounders. I saw one last week. It's about twice the since of a 10 pound pork shoulder.

And, are you gonna bring some of that clod to the bash in October?

I'll try and pick up a couple of those 20 pounders. And what bash are you talking about? (I've been off the Forum for a while due to a new baby)

Back