MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #151
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

So a couple more questions for you guys while I save my pennies for one of these.

1. Is this a reverse flow design?

2. How does the grease draining work when you do big cooks? It looks like there's a drain valve from the water pan, is that where the grease comes out too? What if you're not using water?

3. Does it come with a cover for the water filler so you can keep rain and critters out?
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #152
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
I'm looking to get my smoker up my garage. I have a 1 inch rise from the driveway to the garage. Any ideas. Ive been using the plywood from the crate to get it up there but there has to be something easier. Would like to get the plywood out of my garage. I looked at the leveler ramps and they just are too much.
You might Google "Threshold Ramps". Here is one link: http://www.discountramps.com/thresho...p_page/c/3130/
The most permanent solution would be a sloped concrete ramp.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #153
clweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealvarado View Post
so a couple more questions for you guys while i save my pennies for one of these.

no the smoke enters the chamber through a gap on the sides and back of the water pan

2. How does the grease draining work when you do big cooks? It looks like there's a drain valve from the water pan, is that where the grease comes out too? What if you're not using water?

water pan and grease pan are the same, i use a foil pan under the meat on the rack below where i am cooking

3. Does it come with a cover for the water filler so you can keep rain and critters out?

mine did not, i'm sure chris could make one for it
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #154
ggee6688

It is not a reverse flow design but I get great smoke taste and rings. It also gives me a great color on my food.

With the size of the grates, I usually put pans underneath the food to catch drippings. There is a ball valve to empty out the water pan/grease catcher. I use a cheap ice scraper to get all the rest of it out that may have solidified.

I found that using a wine cork works good for the water filler. I check it to make sure it doesn't dry up and fall apart like it may in old wine bottles. I will probably look at getting a large washer and bolt, then threading them and maybe painting them with some paint to keep the paint up there protected. Cork is working great so far. And doesn't seem to get too hot
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #155
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Dave A,

It is not a reverse flow

It does have a drain to for the grease/water pan

I use a wine bottle cork to plug the water fill hole.( I dont use water)

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #156
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks!

I'm kicking around the idea of having him make a XL version. I'd like it tall enough for one more rack, everything else the same. Basically room for 10 full-size pans.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #157
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Im sure Chris can make an extra tall version for you. Or possibly add a rack. There is room for that for sure! Good luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #158
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
So a couple more questions for you guys while I save my pennies for one of these.

1. Backwoods Smokers and Pitmaker Vault are reverse flow. The LSG is not.
2. The water pan drains out of the 1 1/4" ball valve. Use foil pans and you won't have any grease. The LSG will hold 2 full sized foil pans per grate.
3. No cover for the water filter.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #159
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Oh yeah one more question, will it fit through a door? I'd need to roll it through my house to get it onto my back patio.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #160
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Not sure. Its about 25-26 inches deep (front to back) with door. 34-35 inches wide. Id measure that door way. This thing is heavy.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #161
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Should be fine then, just needs to go in the front door and out the back, clear shot in between. I haven't measured mine but it looks like a standard door is 36" wide.

And yeah, I'm expecting moving that sucker to be a 4-man job. It's got to go up my driveway which is going to be a heck of a push, even though it's not *that* steep.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #162
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

These things are crazy heavy. Be careful!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #163
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone have a pic of the "cork" for the water filler?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #164
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

I was going to transport it through the house as well, then changed my mind on that idea, as 850lb would have cracked my ceramic tiled floor.

Be careful and build some make-shift ramps. Good luck with it, and would love to hear your experiences as well if you end up buying one.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #165
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

That's a good point. I have tile on the way in too. Not sure it would crack though, remember the weight gets divided among the wheels. You can also lay plywood if you wanted to spread the weight around a little more.