MB 1050 Pecan Wood

rexster314

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Loaded the hopper up with 100% pecan wood today for a 20lb brisket. Perfect control using my Fireboard controller and aftermarket fan rated at 157cfm; OEM fan is rated 107 cfm. From 70 degrees ambient to 225 degrees in the cook chamber was less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Wow straight wood!? Interested in watching how this turns out!

Do you think the fan upgrade is needed? My 1050 is still in backorder jail...

Very interesting...I have thought about that myself. Anxiously waiting results:pop2:

Alright...so is the fan control doing all the work or are you having to manage the fire some?

Alright...so is the fan control doing all the work or are you having to manage the fire some?

The bottom line is I'm having to check on the wood more often than charcoal. It's mainly my fault, I didn't stack the wood properly so it would feed better.Every so often I have to go and push the wood down. Overall, I'll do it again, but approach it as I just described.

I have the meat wrapped with butcher paper now, and loaded hopper of char logs, as I didn't care to waste the pecan wood just to "bake" the meat. It's had enough smoke and the ring looks really good

So, you don't fill the hopper with splits? You keep adding wood as it burns down, like an offset?
What kinda temps do you think you can achieve?

So, you don't fill the hopper with splits? You keep adding wood as it burns down, like an offset?
What kinda temps do you think you can achieve?

Well, as the full hopper burns down like charcoal does, you will either run out of wood, or you replace it. Just like anything else that burns some kind of wood or charcoal. Far as the temps, don't know. All I wanted was a low and slow cook, not a searing station

Guess what I'm asking is, do you have to baby sit it like a stick burner or does the controller maintain temps for you, when using all wood?

Guess what I'm asking is, do you have to baby sit it like a stick burner or does the controller maintain temps for you, when using all wood?

Fireboard manages the temps it doesn't care what's in the hopper giving off the heat. Babysit? I have a 6'x20" offset that once it settles in, I check the firebox about once an hour or so to keep it going. I don't even use a thermometer on it. When the controller indicated lowering temps, I would get out and add more wood, or knock it down due to a "log jam"

Looks delicious! How did the smoke/flavor compare, assuming you had cooked one not on 100% wood on the 1050...

This is really interesting. A couple of things: did you do the swap out with the fireboard? Also, do you think having smaller pieces of wood would have worked better? How was temp control? I have been eyeing the 1050 but this would be a really cool development!

Every time I see a post some someone who actually has this cooker (not some naysayer) I want it more. This weekend I even made a spot for it. Awesome cook!

This is really interesting. A couple of things: did you do the swap out with the fireboard? Also, do you think having smaller pieces of wood would have worked better? How was temp control? I have been eyeing the 1050 but this would be a really cool development!

1. Yes, swapped out original controller with Fireboard
2. Could be, next time I'm laying in all the wood vertical
3. Temps were fairly even all day

1. Yes, swapped out original controller with Fireboard
2. Could be, next time I'm laying in all the wood vertical
3. Temps were fairly even all day

You should buy a bag of chunks...I bet you could pack those in!

Back