Smoke or grill ribs

Smoke Dad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Seems like most folks like to slow smoke ribs. Some like to wrap in foil and some don’t. Some pull the membrane. But what about grilling them direct over the fire. Not saying it has to be hot and fast, just grilled over the fire instead of smoked indirectly. I had some ribs once that had a crispy texture on the surface like bacon. They were awesome! Not sure if he grilled them but it kinda seemed that way. Anyone cook their ribs like that. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing they might have been finished on the grill to get that texture.

Back before I smoked meat I grilled them on the propane grill every blue moon. I would try to wrap them some. My FIL still cooks them directly on his charcoal cooker. They are good, but you can tell it doesn't give as long for them to tender up.

Grilled ribs are great but your at the mercy of the meat gods, sometimes they can be very tuff, but most of the time they are fine imo , 1-1.5 hours over the charcoal with some hickory thrown on the coals are great

Have a friend that grills up great ribs on his Weber. He's tried smoking them a number of times and for some reason, always fails terribly. Me on the other hand, I fail terribly trying to grill them.

I'll often finish mine on the gasser.
All good, just don't boil them. :wink:

I don't make many recipes from Steve Raichlen, but this was darn good IMHO.

When I saw the show decades ago, I think he called them European style ribs.

Anyway, they were cooked in about 75 to 90 minutes using a rotisserie on a gas grill. Have a nice crispy outside, moist inside.

That to me was the key, using the spit method. Yes, it is a hot grill, but you are up a bit from flames and they are rolling all the time.

You kind of thread on 2 racks weaving in and out about every third bone. Also, it was very easy and they also look great when done, which to me was simple to "eyeball" and very forgiving. It was a nice spice mix and flavor too.

Probably a guy could make ribs like this using a rub without sugar, some spray oil or mop.

I think this is a good fast method!

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2003/MAY/19049.html.

I will sometimes grill loin backs on the santa maria

I think I’m gonna do some experimentin over the next few weeks...try a hybrid method of grilling them over coals but at a medium to low temp once the coals have cooked down a lot. And then try a hot and fast method. I love smoked and wrapped ribs but Sometimes I hate the idea of taking 6 hrs to cook em.

Google Argentinian Ribs, slightly chewy but pure beef flavour.
Grilled

The Rendevous in Memphis,TN is regarded as one of the Premier rib joints in the Country.TOURIST TRAP.They grill theirs.Yes,I have eaten there,not impressed AT ALL.Their sausage and cheese plate and Red Beans and Rice are delishious.Ribs,NAH.

Yeah as Serious bbq cooks we have a much higher standard for what’s good and what’s not. There are lots of places that supposedly have good bbq.. but they really have a good bbq business. That’s a skill in its own right. But real good bbq.. another skill entirely.

Never grilled a rack of ribs, but Harry Soo has a cool vid with him grilling rib tips. Puts them on his flipped GrillGrates to make the griddle; simple seasoning; pretty quick cook. He says that’s what he likes to eat when he’s not comp cooking/practicing. I’m gonna try that

More than once I've wrapped ribs in foil with a little liquid and seasoning- and braised them in the oven at 350 on or on the Santa Maria until the bones pulled back a bit (hour, hour 10 min). Then finished on the grate of the SM or the gasser. Bit more seasoning on the meat side down- quick thin sauce on the bone side. Flip and repeat-a couple of times. They don't have the smoke- but you do get a nice grilled taste and a bit of char on the sauce (don't go for "burned" tho). Start to end- not quite 2 hours. Pretty good.

I prefer grilled ribs. The trick is the distance between the coals and meat, the amount of coals, ect, ect.. I flip em quite a bit. My next foray will be a custom built rotisserie. Haven't worked out the details yet.

-D

In the woods... can you get fall off the bone ribs by grilling or will they burn if u try to cook em that long?

In the woods... can you get fall off the bone ribs by grilling or will they burn if u try to cook em that long?

Depends. I've over done ribs "fall off the bone", on a old drafty chargrill smoker...my preference fer grilled ribs. Burned em on a kettle. Convection comes inta it. I played around with what worked fer me. I've pulled off some tasty damn grilled ribs on a kettle, but it was a single rack....lacks the real estate. Hit Craigslist fer one of those cheap arse chargrill horizontal smokers...and use it as a grill, use that flimsy firebox as yer intake. Ya can get a nice shallow set of coals in a $20 envelope, ya may have ta add ta em, but grilled ribs kick ass. It's less work than smoking on a offset, but not by a mile.

-D

Also get some charcoal racks fer the bottom, the bottom of yer cooker will burn out if ya don't.

I like grilled better. I get the best ribs grilled on my Performer.

I have never grilled spare ribs. I have fast cooked baby backs on the lower rack of a UDS without a deflector. To me, they are more like pork chop biteletes on a stick. They were good although slightly less tender than slow cooked spares. That could have been the cook though?

Back