MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Costco Briskets/Packers

Hi All I was just wondering how much truth was in this E-mail, I got from Costco Meat Manager? Please let me know your thoughts and comments..I think it is a bunch of BS.
Thanks DanB

Our warehouses carry a totally different line than our business centers. Our Hackensack unit was a business center, where they carry different SKU's and cuts and primarily focus on businesses (Restaurants, etc) and typically carry more food SKU's than an average Costco. At a non business center, we carry a larger variety of non foods and other departments that the business center did not have.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

I've seen it to be true at my local business center vs. regular Costco.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
I've seen it to be true at my local business center vs. regular Costco.
Hi Please explain. OK all of those buying Costco packers are only able to buy them at a Costco Business Center..That is really hard to believe?
Thanks DanB

Old 07-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The business centers carry different products than the regular warehouses. You will find larger quantities and whole subprimals at the business centers.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
The business centers carry different products than the regular warehouses. You will find larger quantities and whole subprimals at the business centers.
Hi OK all of those buying Costco packers are only able to buy them at a Costco Business Center..That is really hard to believe?
Any one buy packers from NON Costco Business Centers??
Thanks DanB

Last edited by DanB; 07-10-2020 at 04:49 PM..
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I have never been to a costco business center and I get packers there all the time. Usually prime but, whatever looks best

Old 07-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Costco

Hi All According to this there are only 17 Costco BUsiness Centers. So it is hard to believe that all the post I've read , that packers were only for sale in their Business Centers

Here are some replies I am getting
My Costco isn't a business center and I get brisket there all the time

The Costco I go to is a regular Costco. Get prime or choice anything.

Costco Business Center, a branch of the warehouse giant tailored to small businesses, is open to all paying Costco members. There are only 17 of them in the United States, and nearly 70% of the products they sell can't be found in a traditional Costco, according to the Star Tribune.Jul 7, 2018
DanB

Last edited by DanB; 07-10-2020 at 05:26 PM..
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
pharp
Banned

I have tons of friends that work at Sam's/Walmart corporate. Here is how these things work. A company like Costco TELLS the distributor what they want and what they will pay. The distributor then makes that happen. If they can't, then Costco/Sams/Walmart find someone who can. That is why one week you have Smithfield ribs and the next week you have IBP. I would trust what he says, but just know...all they are doing is getting the best quality they can for whatever corporate will let them pay.

I am sure there are some people that will "know more" than me and say this is absurd. Those people are wrong. I actually had dinner with the national account manager for Sam's/Smithfield (think back to the "Smithfield Reserve Line") and they could not stay in Sam's because they could no longer meat the price point/quality.

The good news is, they have a high quality standard. The bad news is, no matter what the lowest bidder that can meet that standard gets the business.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All I was just wondering how much truth was in this E-mail, I got from Costco Meat Manager? Please let me know your thoughts and comments..I think it is a bunch of BS.
Thanks DanB

Our warehouses carry a totally different line than our business centers. Our Hackensack unit was a business center, where they carry different SKU's and cuts and primarily focus on businesses (Restaurants, etc) and typically carry more food SKU's than an average Costco. At a non business center, we carry a larger variety of non foods and other departments that the business center did not have.
What you are saying, in regards to Costco Business Center vs. traditional Costo is not reflected in this post. Do you have additional information from them?

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
What you are saying, in regards to Costco Business Center vs. traditional Costo is not reflected in this post. Do you have additional information from them?
Hi So What you are saying that it is case of hit or miss.My Costco Business Center always had the same brand for their briskest & ribs.
Thanks DanB

Old 07-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

You can buy packers at non-business centers, I've only seen prime briskets at my regular costco but I can get commodity choice at the business center. A lot of other cuts of meat there as well that I don't see at the regular costco.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Hi So What you are saying that it is case of hit or miss.My Costco Business Center always had the same brand for their briskest & ribs.
Thanks DanB
Sure. The business centers might have a national contract (All locations will stock this SKU). Hence the consistency. These warehouse stores have more consolidated buying power than anyone else...they make the rules.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

I've seen pics of east coast/west coast Costco Business Centers that blew me away.

The Chicago business center was a huge disappointment when I visited last year. Some different cuts from the normal stores, but mostly low level choice and select grade. No prime grade at all. A complete waste of a day for me.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Sure. The business centers might have a national contract (All locations will stock this SKU). Hence the consistency. These warehouse stores have more consolidated buying power than anyone else...they make the rules.
Their rules suck as far as I'm concerned..I was getting prime briskets,beef ribs at the business center.
Thanks DanB

Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Their rules suck as far as I'm concerned..I was getting prime briskets,beef ribs at the business center.
Thanks DanB
I agree...I bought all my pork and ribs from Sam's in 2018. Then they stopped having it....I asked the butcher, and the manager, and the Smithfield rep...finally figured all this out...and to save you the time....they could not care less about your opinion....I spent almost $5k at the store that this discovery occurred at...that figure did not even register with them...haven't had a consistent pork/rib supply since then.