MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
nthole
Babbling Farker

Default First Practice Run, Comments Please

Another competition newby looking for some feedback. To start off with, generally when I q things go pretty smoothly, but this was the first time we tried to do everything, at the same time like the real deal. Chaotic. This really is tough! It doesn't help though when your watching an 11 month old the whole time as well!

So anyway, chicken thighs were way to large. Not getting them from Sam's anymore. So please just judge how they look, not on the fact that we could only get 5 in the box!

Ribs were over done. Too tender. And therefore a p.i.a. to cut. Would expect some dings there.

Brisket I thought looked really good, sliced really well, had a great smoke ring and flavor. I think a little longer wrapped and it would have been just right with the tenderness.

Pork Butt didn't get tender enough. After 11 hours we were just done however (wife pulling the plug mod). We should've started earlier in the day. So the pork was a little more chopped than pulled, tender enough chopped though. Had a great flavor. Looking at it this morning should have added more meat or some slices.

Honest feedback please.

Thanks
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2733.JPG (142.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2734.JPG (150.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2737.JPG (142.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2738.JPG (141.2 KB, 144 views)
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

More meat, less garnish...You could have got 6 thighs in if you did 2 rows of 3 (or 3 rows of 2)...Looks good enough to eat...!

Good luck!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am not an experieced judge, so take these comments with a grain of seasoned salt.

For the first real practice run I think things look very promising.

Chicken - Looks like you didn't pull back the skin and trim the thighs to match in size and shape? If not, that will help a lot. Also looks like you put the finising glaze on a bit early and the sugar in it got burned in places.

Ribs - No way to see anything but the top of the ribs so no idea how tender they look. You can build up under the ribs with lettuce to make them stand up more in the box so they don't look lost in the garnish. Looks like only five ribs?

Brisket - Your best looking box. I want to reach in and grab one of those slices.

Pork - I would put more pork in there. See comment above about putting a lettuce bed under the pork to make it stand up more in the box. The more pork, the hotter it will be when the judges finally get to sample it, plus it is overwhelmed by the garnish. I would also add six nice pieces with bark on them for the judges to sample in addition the bark you have mixed in.

General comment is to wait 15 or 20 minutes to see how your boxes look and taste -- about the time they will have to wait for the judges to sample them. A lot of the juice sheen will disappear and the pork and brisket will set up some which affects tenderness and texture. Most everything a judge tastes is at room temperature. You need to devise methods to deal with the time lapse.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse View Post
More meat, less garnish...You could have got 6 thighs in if you did 2 rows of 3 (or 3 rows of 2)...Looks good enough to eat...!

Good luck!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I agree, all of your meat looks absolutely top notch!! I learned this a few weeks ago and it's excellent. Think of a putting green when you build your boxes. Use green leaf lettuce chopped up as the filler and curly parsley on top so all of your meat rests on the parsley. It will really accentuate your entries. Nice meat though, looks great.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Try and make this short and sweet!

Ck, pieces obvoiusly need to be trimed to be uniform, if you think you are going to be able to just cook a bunch of theighs and then pick out six that match, I think you will be unpleasently surprised. Unlike some I think the color is good, it is tasty looking chicken. If you are going to use garnish I say go for it, can't have too much in my opinion! 8

Ribs do look buried in the garnish, so tight together hard for me to see in the picture if cut were jagged, I would have used more parsley, maybe just parsley in each cornor and a large amout of it, or none at all. 7

Same with the brisket, more parsley or lose it all together! Either KISS or go balls out! 7

Pork looks the best to me. I guess I am a minimalist! I like the amount in the box on this one. Simple green leaf and nothing else, bam! 8
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
lazyjacres
Take a breath!

Other than the chicken, all the boxes look to not have enough meat in them to make it look proportionate. Show the meat not the garnish. Stack the brisket in there so that all the pieces line up and look even. For a KCBS contest you will have to present 6 pieces of everything. More is better if you can get it in there. Fill the box.
All in all the meat looks good. You might want to give the ribs a little sheen. Spray it with some apple juice before you close the box.
Ole' Hickory EL
Hunsaker Drum Smoker
Pull Behind Reverse Flow
lazyjacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

In a case like this where the chicken is not presented like everyone else in prefect oval shapes, I really like it being unsymmetrical ( I know there are only 5).

Not that I would ever judge down for it, but the chicken thighs needs to look like chicken thighs, not potato croquettes...

For a thigh, I think you nailed it... I know many others may differ. This chicken looks well cooked, not dunked in sauce etc. I'm 8-9 here...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Based on my comp scores...you don't want my advise.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Remember that you don't have to take the chicken as you get it... You can trim down the meat any way you want to do it, so big thighs can be made into smaller thighs.

More meat, for sure, plus the pork and brisket look dry... try using some sauce on them, or at least spritz with apple juice.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
WalterSC
Knows what a fatty is.

If ya dont use the green stuff you can put more in the boxes trust me on that one. The thighs could have used some trimming but all in all the turn ins looked fine to me. As a judge with the South Carolina BBQ Association we look for : Appearance of Entry, Aroma,Tenderness/Texture,Taste, and Overall Impression , when judging turn in boxes. Also we dont do garnish we judge BBQ as it is presented by the teams , the more meat the better.
PIT MASTER TEAM SQUEEL APPEAL
Backyard BBQer
55 gallon drum smoker with side fire box
2- Weber Smokey Moutain Smokers
Kenmore propane grill
King Cooker outdoor fryer
WalterSC is offline   Reply With Quote