MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #16
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
That was my first taste of Texas BBQ. I missed a connecting flight and American Airlines gave me a one-way voucher for a cab. I asked the agent where I could get good BBQ, and she pointed me to North Main.

When I got there, I was like a lost dog in a meat house. Pork Butt, sausages, slaw, brisket, white bread and iced tea. All for $10 (this was a while back).

Sat down at a community table, and people asked where I was from. When I said, "California", the place went silent. I said, "But I'm a Cowboys fan!" and the place erupted with laughter.

As I went back for my third plate, I mentioned to the cashier that I felt bad, and the owner must be losing money. He said, "Don't worry. I'm doing o.k". He was C.J., the founder of North Main BBQ.

I wish I had spent more time talking to him, because the next time I got out there, he had passed away.

Awesome Story. I love how you said the place went silent when you said you were from California, LOL.

We sometimes find the most amazing places under the most unusual circumstances. While the Famous Greats have some of the best food (Franklin's, Bryant's, Smitty's, Snow's, ect), it's the little places on the off-beat sections that can sometimes supply some of the best food without the big crowds and a low-key atmosphere that make the meal enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
LYU370

Been a few years since I've been to North Main. Always used to stop there for lunch on Fridays on the way back to DFW. Hubert owned it when i visited, I heard he had passed away. Anyone know for sure? He used to sit at the end with a big wad of cash, no cash register in sight. Cash? 10 bucks, credit? Go over there...

Fun place, good food.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Been a few years since I've been to North Main. Always used to stop there for lunch on Fridays on the way back to DFW. Hubert owned it when i visited, I heard he had passed away. Anyone know for sure? He used to sit at the end with a big wad of cash, no cash register in sight. Cash? 10 bucks, credit? Go over there...

Fun place, good food.

It has been almost two years since Hubert passed. It's been years since I was there (probably before I moved from Denton County to Collin County about 6 years ago.)

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/na...?pid=187626098
Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #19
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Flying in to DFW tonight and hitting Pecan Lodge tomorrow for lunch. Have to throw some work in there in between I guess too...