First Whole Hog Cook! Some Last Minute Questions

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be cooking my first whole hog on my Lang 84 tomorrow night...well EARLY Saturday morning (want it ON by 3 am). Picking up a 100 pound dressed pig tomorrow afternoon. Plan is to inject, rub the cavity, oil and salt the skin, than cook racer style around 275 for hopefully less than 12 hours until around 190-200 IT in the shoulders and hams.

Now I've done a lot of research and have a good idea about what I'm doing, but I have one quick question (for now) in terms of injecting. Normally whenever I cook pork I simply inject and rub before throwing my meat on, but since I'm gonna be grumpy as hell waking up at 1 am I want as little prep as possible. So I'm thinking Ill trim, inject, and rub tomorrow afternoon than keep on ice so its basically ready to go. That way I can wake up, focus on getting the fire going and all I have to do to the pig is oil and salt the skin and throw it on.

My concern is I've never let meat sit with injection. Injection will be basically apple juice, salt, and sugar. Should I think about cutting back on the salt and/or sugar since it will be sitting for up to 10 hours before going on the pit?

Also, what oil is best for the skin? I've got olive, canola, and peanut.

Ill probably be back with other questions as they come up...I'm very excited to finally knock this off my bucket list. Wish me luck!

I wouldn't inject at all. Let the smoke and time do their things. Make your injection into a thin bbq sauce and have it as a side for guest. That's just me.

Use less salt if your worried about it, injecting is okay as long as it stays cold enough but it would be plenty good without it too. For sure rub ahead of time several hours.Canola is flavorless and good for everything bbq. After your guests taste the pork you will forget about all the frett and fuss and grumpiness as adrenaline will take over from all the great compliments you will get and you will think you are a super hero and wont feel tired but in reality you are still just human like the rest of us but you will be very happy and very proud for a job well done, plz post pictures.

I'm sure it will turn out fine. I'm looking forward to my first whole hog. So post some good pics

I'm sure it will turn out fine. I'm looking forward to my first whole hog. So post some good pics

Pictures won't be an issue. My buddy who I'm doing this with is a photo freak so there should be plenty of good pics coming this weekend.

Now who knows how to knock myself out so I can fall asleep by 7pm??

I wouldn't inject early....(just my preference).
Sometimes it makes the pig taste too "hammy" for me.

Back