First brisket in a long time with pron.

Bigpappa1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It seems like I only get to do a brisket once or twice a year, so I'm always re-learning when I do it. That said, I do manage to carry over some knowledge. This was my first time using paper to wrap, and I certainly learned one thing: it takes a LOT longer with paper than it does with foil. Like, I thought it would be done 4 hours earlier than I was and I still probably pulled it just a touch early kind of longer.

What I got wrong
Cook time, and I pulled it JUST a bit early. I also screwed up a bit of the fat trim, but it worked out because I was going to do burnt ends anyways. Possibly too much smoke as well, but I will know more about that today when I give it a try for lunch. I may have cut the burnt ends the wrong direction as well...

What I got right
The rub was on point and the overall brisket was delicious. It wasn't my best work, but certainly not my worst, nor was it a disappointment. It failed the hang test but passed the pull test, which was interesting. The burnt ends, even though maybe cut the wrong direction, were delicious. I may make perfecting a brisket process my challenge for the summer...

jbX3AOh.jpg

ey51YjJ.jpg

Z8mwojN.jpg

I also made some sausage (not pictured) and continued my massively long streak of sucking at making sausage. Even Thirdeye's gracious help and expertise could not overcome my own ineptness. Determining the next step on that as I forge ahead...

I think we are our own worst critics! Everything on that plate looks fantastic to me. I say nicely done buddy :)

That looks fantastic! Any meal that requires a pan to fit everything already has me hooked!

I think this cook was such a huge disaster that I should take all the food and give no details of its whereabouts...

Back