Any easy hot wing recipes?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have tried numerous times to make hot wings and have never really been impressed with any of my sauce attempts. Does anyone have a simple yet good hot wing sauce recipe?

Fried onions + Butter + Frank's Red Hot sauce. Simmer on low heat.

Guests think it's some culinary sorcery and are always shocked when I tell them it's practically store bought.

Fried onions + Butter + Frank's Red Hot sauce. Simmer on low heat.

Guests think it's some culinary sorcery and are always shocked when I tell them it's practically store bought.

Fried Onions! Dang that sounds good! :icon_smile_tongue:

Mine: Frank's Red Hot sauce + Butter + Crushed Red Pepper + Chipotles in Adobo (finely chopped)

I use a homemade smokey hot sauce, but Frank's is very popular.
For best results, sauce should not be too thin or it won't stick well. Also, spread wings out a little in a large bowl and let sit a couple minutes after cooking. Then toss with sauce and serve.

This makes enough for 2 to 2.5 lbs wings:
Gently heat 4-5 T hot sauce.
Add 1 minced garlic clove, 2 t paprika, 1 T worcestershire.
Slowly add 3-4 T butter with stirring.
Gently simmer with stirring at very low heat for a few minutes.
Add 1-2 T water (or chicken broth) if needed.

Mix a 50/50 with Jalapeno pepper jelly and your favorite bbq sauce (but use Bullseye). Cook sauce until the jelly is mixed in. Brush that on about half way through, finish on indirect heat (about 15-20 min) and you're in for a sticky sweet heat treat.

Another thing you can do is hit wings hard with Kickin Chicken before going on and serve dry - yum!

And all of these are regular grocery store items, nothing special, nothing to order and to have shipped.

Franks buffalo sauce is good. I also like Oakridge's Jah Love Jerk seasoning (Follow directions on package)> And another I like is Melindas Habanero Hot sauce

Need a little more info.Are you not happy with the wings or the flavor?Wings are a food art to their own.Looking for texture to taste or both?

I did some one the weber with rigged vortex and dusted them with Kosmo Q buffalo. Those turned out really good. Usually just deep fry and use either, Franks, Guys, Sweet Baby Rays.

I'm really into dust over sauce. Two favorites. Just blend everything up in a blender or coffee grinder.

Chilli lime = lime zest, garlic powder, dehydrated jalapeño (sub pizza pepper) brown sugar, salt, pepper

Hot honey = granulated honey, dehydrated chillies (i use dehydrated leftovers from homemade hot sauce)

Do you like spicy? I may have something for you...:mrgreen:

I'm a fan of spicy, not super spicy. My wife hates spice all together so I could use a spicy one for myself.

Mix a 50/50 with Jalapeno pepper jelly and your favorite bbq sauce (but use Bullseye). Cook sauce until the jelly is mixed in. Brush that on about half way through, finish on indirect heat (about 15-20 min) and you're in for a sticky sweet heat treat.

Another thing you can do is hit wings hard with Kickin Chicken before going on and serve dry - yum!

And all of these are regular grocery store items, nothing special, nothing to order and to have shipped.

Jalapeno pepper jelly? What is this yummy goodness I have never heard of? What grocery stores do you find it at?

Need a little more info.Are you not happy with the wings or the flavor?Wings are a food art to their own.Looking for texture to taste or both?

Not happy with flavor the texture and cooking I'm good with. Just looking for a type of sauce with good flavor and mild heat.

Mild wing sauces from Frank's and Texas Pete's are good but my favorite is the Louisiana brand mild wing sauce. I do mix with butter. Going to try adding garlic powder as mentioned above and possibly adding more Yardbird rub (my preferred rub for wings) into this mixture or just dusting more Yardbird after saucing.

Jan Love is good so is Walkerswood marinade for jerk style.I like Crystal hot sauce and butter melted together to toss plain wings in.I like to marinate wings in a 50/50 mix of buttermilk and Crystal hot sauce overnight before grilling too.

I personally don’t like traditional Buffalo wing sauces on grilled or smoked wings. I just don’t like how the sauce flavor interacts with the char or smoked flavor. Too much going on. I prefer that on fried as the Buffalo sauce is the dominant flavor and doesn’t have to compete with the bitterness of char. A friend of my brother used to make a sweet and spicy bourbon sauce that was really tasty. I tossed some grilled wings today in an herbed garlic butter and they were awesome. Now garlic butter and the char of grilled wings is about perfect. Season the wings with a spicy rub then toss them in garlic butter when you take off the pit and you have something good

Last edited:
I grew up eating wings from Anchor bar.

Original Buffalo Sauce.....
1/2 cup Frank's® RedHot® sauce
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Heat gently over low heat, toss hot wings into sauce and shake to coat well.

ingredients like black pepper, white pepper, ground celery seed, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, or cayenne can be added for additional flavor/heat for your liking.

There are so many commercial variations on the market with a multitude of flavor varieties. The sky is the, limit for choices. If you don't care for a commercial sauce; doctor them up to your liking.

Like others have suggested simply add Habernaro Death Dust, Cayenne, Chipotle, or any other ground chili for flavor and heat as you like.

Blues Hog make a Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce that's great on wings. I dust with extra ground chipotle before serving.

Don't be afraid to experiment to find what you like best.

I don't make these often enough, but when I do it's always in the oven. Might have to try it in the smoker one of these days. Ridiculously good! Although I don't cook them as long and I use parchment paper instead of foil.

Heroin Wings Yes they are that addictive!

https://tvwbb.com/threads/chicken-wings.87725/#post-980600

Cross-post here, so forgive me if not allowed.

This is pretty much our go-to for traditional, easy, buffalo wings. Make the sauce a couple hours ahead of time to chill.

I cut the tabasco and cayenne in half and it's just right. My 10 and 6 yr old boys will crush it, so not too spicy. Make sure you let the wings cool down a bit before you toss or it will break the sauce.

Hope this helps!

-Kurt

Back