Tri Tip reverse seared on Mini Egg/Griddle

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm always looking at the meat section for a nicely marbled tri tip. This little one (1.56 lbs) caught my eye:
GYQTWdG.jpg

Got it seasoned with some Santa Maria Rubs and onto the Mini at 235 F with a chunk of red oak for smoke:
otyAG7a.jpg

Pulled it off at an IT of 118 and let it rest while I got the mini griddle heated up in the Mini Egg. Griddle was over 700 degrees when I put the tri tip back on for a sear:
Ae9al6B.jpg

Flipped a couple of times:
HLtuS8X.jpg

b62Umxw.jpg

Not shown in pics but I used a Lodge round cast iron press to get better contact with the griddle.

Pulled at 129-130 IT:
INjX7vu.jpg

Sliced and served:
R2YBTSx.jpg

NDBeVu8.jpg

It hit the spot! Thanks for looking!

Great looking piece of meat! Not sure why the tri tip craze hasn't migrated this way. It's almost impossible to find one around here.

Great looking tri tip. Cooked perfectly. We have them on sale here right now. Looks like it’s time for me to get a couple. Thanks for the inspiration.

Never tried the tri tip. How is it?

Nice cut of meat perfectly cooked!

Never tried the tri tip. How is it?

Tri Tip is really popular in California and it’s a staple at my house. Cooked to med rare and sliced thin across the grain it’s tender, juicy, and flavorful. I’d recommend it for sure if you can find it at a fair price (it’s from the sirloin primal so don’t pay filet mignon prices - I’ve heard of some really high prices in some states).

The marbling!!! Wow!

Great looking cook too. Love tri tip

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Tri Tip is really popular in California and it’s a staple at my house. Cooked to med rare and sliced thin across the grain it’s tender, juicy, and flavorful. I’d recommend it for sure if you can find it at a fair price (it’s from the sirloin primal so don’t pay filet mignon prices - I’ve heard of some really high prices in some states).

Thanks for the info. I'll asked the meat counter people at heb.

Thanks for the info. I'll asked the meat counter people at heb.

Not sure if it’ll help but they may be able to look it up in their meat producers guide as #185C (untrimmed) or #185D (trimmed). For reference: http://www.beeffoodservice.com/recipecut.aspx?id=236

A temporary alternative is order some from Creekstone Farms while they’re still on sale: https://www.creekstonefarms.com/collections/usda-prime-beef/products/usda-prime-tri-tip-special

That’s Franklin BBQ’s beef supplier so I ordered some to try (this cook wasn’t using one from Creekstone). I cooked one a couple of weeeks ago and it was great (but I wouldn’t pay the full price for them).

John,

You cooked that Tri-Tip perfectly! Almost looks like Wagyu!

Where did you pick that one up?

John,

You cooked that Tri-Tip perfectly! Almost looks like Wagyu!

Where did you pick that one up?

Thanks Moose! This one came from Safeway (or Vons in your area). It was a prime grade but the primes don’t usually look so marbled. I wish this was the norm!

Thanks Moose! This one came from Safeway (or Vons in your area). It was a prime grade but the primes don’t usually look so marbled. I wish this was the norm!

John,

The Von's around where we live only carry choice, though sometimes it can be very good.

John,

The Von's around where we live only carry choice, though sometimes it can be very good.

I didn’t realize it wasn’t in all stores in So Cal. If you should find yourself around Thousand Oaks, the store at 2048 Avenida De Los Arboles appears to carry them.

I didn’t realize it wasn’t in all stores in So Cal. If you should find yourself around Thousand Oaks, the store at 2048 Avenida De Los Arboles appears to carry them.

Don't think there's any near you, but I usually buy most of my meat at Ralph's. The location near me has a fine selection of choice and prime. Here's an example:

DSC_0802_zpstxgdajag.jpg

Back