Mustard Sauce

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Have you ever used a commercial mustard sauce in competition?

What brand is your favorite for comps? Did you modify it at all?

Thanks!

Eric

Have you ever used a commercial mustard sauce in competition?

What brand is your favorite for comps? Did you modify it at all?

Thanks!

Eric

Rich makes his own KCass Southern Style mustard sauce that is to die for! It is magnifico!:-D

Not in a comp, but have heard a few stories...

I know of a couple teams that used Uncle Kenny's mustard sauce in a comp and got a few walks. His stuff is top shelf in the mustard game with Blues Hog Mustard being as good or equal.

Take some cheap yellow mustard and blend in peach schnapps until the bitter taste is gone. Depends on your drinking habits as to how many bottles are used. Makes a great mustard slather and it's not bad on dog's.

IMO- The Wolfe Brothers from FL make the best mustard sauce I've ever tasted...I've gotten to where I eat that stuff on everything. Big Papa's Country Kitchen is bottling their sauce now under the "Big Papa's Country Kitchen/Wolfe Bros." label and it is available at barbecutie.com I think

I simply added about a quarter cup of course ground McCormick black pepper to a 16 oz bottle of Hy-Vee (store) brand yellow mustard - and I came in second in ribs category last September in Topeka. I used it as a binder for the rub.

When I got back home, I tasted the mustard. I've been using it ever since. It's delicious!

Does anyone use a mustard sauce in competitions specifically for pulled pork or chicken?

Any successes?

Eric

Ive never used a mustard sauce in comps but I sampled an excellent one at the NBBQA conference this past week.
Its called Samdog Yellowdog and won 1st place award of excellence in the mustard category at the same conference. I have no affiliation with it but it was some of the best mustard sauce Ive had
I think you have to order from his website...

http://site.samdogbbq.com/Home.php

I have used some BH Mustard sauce and also like the Big Z's sweet gold from our friends at Great Lakes.
I've been meaning to try Spicewine's mustard sauce and intend to do that soon.

We started using part mustard suace on chicken last year and started having much better results.

Cattlemens Gold is a very good store bought sause also try Carolina Treat for your chicken mix one large bottle of treat and one 12 oz beer you will love it

Blues Hog mustard is great stuff.

I make a mustard sauce that is my personal favorite, but I don't use it in comps.. any more.

I used to use it as a mop for my butts and I loved the flavor. But I never got anywhere above middle of the pack with it.

I took a cooking class from Chris Marks once and asked him about it. He told me that in the Mid West (which is the only area I compete in) using anything other than your basic KC-Style, sweet & thick sauce is not worth the risk.

He said that while it might be really good, it just is not the flavor that the judges expect or are looking for.

Our last comp I used our Kentucky Bourbon sauce (which is similar to a KC-Style sauce but with bourbon in it) and took a 7th place walk. Same rub, same cooking process, just a different sauce.

Back