Thanksgiving Turkey Help!!!

nsantole

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am looking for help on smoking a Tday turkey. My main concern is that i am cooking this turkey in my backwoods smoker for the first time and wasn't sure if you guys recommend cooking with water or without water in the pan. Also what temp should i shoot for?

Will the water keep the skin chewy?

my plan is:
-brine for 24 hours
-soak in water 24 hours
-season with AP bbq rub
-cook spatchcocked until internal temp is good

thoughts/advice?

much appreciated!!

If you're going to soak in water, I recommend allowing for a day after you pull the turkey out of the liquid to sit on a rack in your refrigerator uncovered so the skin can fully dry out prior to smoking. I use a WSM with mine and do not typically use water in the pan as I target 300F to avoid rubbery skin.

Last edited:
If you're going to soak in water, I recommend allowing for a day after you pull the turkey out of the liquid to sit on a rack in your refrigerator uncovered so the skin can fully dry out prior to smoking. I use a WSM with mine and do not typically use water in the pan as I target 300F to avoid rubbery skin.

Thanks Bratt. i will give that a try too. do you baste during cooking? I've seen people adding oil to a sauce to help the skin brown.

no 24 hour water soak, it will undo the brine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wanted to soak after brine because my rub is salty and I didn't want the turkey to get too salty.

Akoda, do you know this from experience? This is my first time trying that method and was skeptical about it.

Thanks Bratt. i will give that a try too. do you baste during cooking? I've seen people adding oil to a sauce to help the skin brown.

I put a little oil on the skin before smoking it. I’ve been dry brining the past few years with Harvest Brine so no need to soak in water or even rinse it off. I would skip the soaking and reduce the salt in your rub if you can to simplify and not pull the salt back out.

I brine every year (wet brine) I make my brine on the Saturday before so the flavors of veggies I add get distributed. I take most of the veggies out on Tuesday and put the bird in, let it sit in brine for 24 to 30 hours and then remove, dry the outside and put it uncovered in my fridge until time for it to go on the smoker. I don't use a rub but add some butter and herbs under the skin and will rub some butter on the skin. Stuff the inside with onion, orange, celery and herbs. Best birds I have ever done.

I wanted to soak after brine because my rub is salty and I didn't want the turkey to get too salty.

Akoda, do you know this from experience? This is my first time trying that method and was skeptical about it.
afb6f7e583a2eca522bdc7ae16786fe1.jpg
14298ca2c51d474b4876d48f9870f5e8.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cooker very similar to your Backwoods. I cook my turkey around 300 degrees, give or take, without water in the pan.

Back