MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Dplorable
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick
Default Sous Vide Brisket

Apologies in advance to the purists among us who will declare this "brisket blasphemy" 130° 48 hrs water bath, ice bath 1 hr, fridge overnight. On the smoker 3 hrs 160° with a smoke tube, bump to 180° till 125° IT. The thin corner of the flat was excellent, the rest was just a little chewy but very tasty. I'm gonna try this again with another 12 hrs underwater.

P1000158.jpg

Droop

Annotation 2019-11-10 043908.jpg

Pull

P1000165.jpg

Thanx fer looking!
Dplorable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
bschoen
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Looks good to me.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks good Rick.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

It looks like you were pretty aggressive trimming the fat. Right?
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
jimstocks53
Full Fledged Farker

48 hours is a very long time to babysit the water level. I've shortened the time in sous vide by cooking brisquet at 150-160. Still lengthy at 36 hours minimum.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
48 hours is a very long time to babysit the water level. ...
I have cut a sheet of bubble-pack material to fit my sous vide lashup. It just covers and floats on the top of the water and virtually eliminates evaporation. Not to say it will go for 48 hours, but you wouldn't have to check often enough to consider it baby-sitting.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I have cut a sheet of bubble-pack material to fit my sous vide lashup. It just covers and floats on the top of the water and virtually eliminates evaporation. Not to say it will go for 48 hours, but you wouldn't have to check often enough to consider it baby-sitting.
Now see, this is the gem of the day for me.

My parents used to have an above ground pool. Over the season we’d pull a large bubble wrap blanket over the surface to float and keep the heat in. If ya left it on during the full sun of the day it would act like a solar blanket and actually warm the pool.

Genius to do that for a long sous vide bath.

4 Time TD Winner 1 2 3 4

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

Have you ever smoked it before the sous vide?
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
jimstocks53
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Have you ever smoked it before the sous vide?
Yes, I have. I'd smoke at a low temp while the meat is cold to pick up max flavor then bagged and 'watered it'. But I've also placed a sous vide'd brisquet in the fridge to cool off after cooking and smoked it later. I haven't figured out if there is a good way to sous vide AND get a good bark. But always make sure to save the sous vide liquid after cooking for au jus.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Dplorable
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
It looks like you were pretty aggressive trimming the fat. Right?
Yes I was, it wasn't going to spend enough time in the smoker to dry out

I have a dedicated 5 gal cooler (with lid) for my SV.....went the whole cook without adding water

"I've shortened the time in sous vide by cooking brisquet at 150-160"

I was looking for that nice pink color I got

This was my first time doing this, I figgered I'd get a better looking brisky smoking after SV?
Dplorable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

You could smoke before then use this to crisp the bark.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
Yes, I have. I'd smoke at a low temp while the meat is cold to pick up max flavor then bagged and 'watered it'. But I've also placed a sous vide'd brisquet in the fridge to cool off after cooking and smoked it later. I haven't figured out if there is a good way to sous vide AND get a good bark. But always make sure to save the sous vide liquid after cooking for au jus.
That's what I was thinking too. Give it three or four hours in the smoke and get that good and settled in THEN give it the bath; provided of course you keep the meat in a bag while it's in the water bath?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

@Dplorable, what was the external fat like? How about the fat between the point and the flat? At the temps you are using I'm guessing that it did not render.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #14
jimstocks53
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
@Dplorable, what was the external fat like? How about the fat between the point and the flat? At the temps you are using I'm guessing that it did not render.
No, the fat renders just fine at these low temps - it is simply slower.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Give it three or four hours in the smoke and get that good and settled in THEN give it the bath; provided of course you keep the meat in a bag while it's in the water bath?
I have tried this approach, and it does give a nice smoke ring, but what I didn’t realize was the smoke flavor is able to permeate the plastic bags. Your water gets discolored and gets a strong smoke smell to it, which itself is not a problem, except that it is smoke flavor no longer in the meat. Ugh!

As for SV temp, based on my research, the ideal temp for tenderness will be around 145. I have not done enough of these to 100% confirm this yet but what I have done to date is strongly pointing in that direction. At 145 it will not be pink anymore so a smoke ring from pre smoke will show, but post smoke will not form a ring (if that matters to you). The ideal is probably to smoke-SV-smoke but that gets to be real involved, and at that point I am wondering why I didn’t just smoke it the whole time.

I have also tried a charcoal grill and weed torch to firm up the bark after the bath. They help, but neither comes close to the bark you get from extended smoking. More of a sear than a bark if that makes sense.

Thanks from:--->