For all the Cincinnati chili fans and H8Rs...

Almost 10 years since I have been to anywhere in Ohio. I have been my childhood home are of Pittsburgh, but never made it across the line. I miss OH.

Cincinnati is not Chili, but a Mediterranean-spiced meat sauce used as a topping for spaghetti or hot dogs, both dishes developed by Slavic-Macedonian immigrant restaurateurs from Greece in the 1920s.:laugh::boxing:

Thanks for the post Mik

I think we first had it at a Skyline over 35 years ago. We loved it and my wife has since started making it at home. She added hot banana pepper rings on the toppings once so now we are a six-way family.

I get up to Cincinnati (West Chester) at least 3 times per year, my sister lives there. Matter of fact I was there 10/26 - 10/31 and this was the first time I tried the Cincinnati Chili, while it was pretty tasty it does take some getting used. Now if you want to talk about Jungle Jim’s.

Yes, it does take a bit of adjustment. First time i had it I thought it quite odd.

Jungle Jim's is pretty cool, but they have really reduced their exotic meats. I used to be able to but racks of New Zealand Red Deer there that were just incredible. But as far as produce? Never seen the like.

I discovered it's Greek origins a few years ago after craving coneys. I can still remember Kroger wanted $4.99 for 15oz can of Skyline chili sauce. Crazy expensive so I started investigating for recipes and learned of it's history. 4 way for me.

Years ago I ordered the Skyline dry mix packets. I think it was 6. Gave one away, threw one old one away that had worked its way invisible in the back of the pantry. I quite enjoyed piling it on top of spaghetti with cheddar onions and generous shakes of of Tabasco. I’ve since made it a couple time loosely following a recipe from The International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook. Cooking myself I reduced the allspice and cloves though did not omit them. Added extra chili powder and red pepper (pizza pepper) flakes. I always enjoy Chili threads- the online article comments can be brutal though

My wife’s brothers both live in Ohio. When we go visit them we always get a cheese coney from skyline. It’s good stuff. Funny thing is when they come here to visit they always want to go to the varsity for chili dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love CC, we hit jungle jims about a year ago and stopped at skyline down town , great stuff and call it any thing you want lol, were going to plan a 2 day trip back this spring and take a big cooler in case lol

https://www.thechunkychef.com/copycat-skyline-cincinnati-chili/

For those interested. If you make it yourself. For us in the south it’ll somewhat shock your senses. First time I ate it I though this would be killer in Lasagna or American Goulash. All I can say is it’s a nice change up. It’s been a few years so may be time to revisit.

I grew up in Cincinnati, and Skyline is a must stop everytime I return to visit family. I get a taste of it from my local Publix (frozen section), but nothing beats 3 habanero cheese coneys, with mustard from the store.

Ok, I admit I'm not a big fan of Cincinatti Chili (CC). But I won't bash it either, because I do eat it occasionally! I think the reason it gets so disrespected here in Charleston, has more to do with the Ohioans moving here. Which is fine.. but if you are going to disrespect our Grits, you aren't going to get much love in return.

Thanks for the link! It answers my question, "Why in the world would you put cinnamon in chili?" :wink:

Ok, I admit I'm not a big fan of Cincinatti Chili (CC). But I won't bash it either, because I do eat it occasionally! I think the reason it gets so disrespected here in Charleston, has more to do with the Ohioans moving here. Which is fine.. but if you are going to disrespect our Grits, you aren't going to get much love in return.

Thanks for the link! It answers my question, "Why in the world would you put cinnamon in chili?" :wink:

Or chocolate?.....Because,it works. :thumb: It takes Yankees a while to figure out that grits are just "Elevated" polenta. Those Ohioans probably order dry toast instead of biscuits too_Overlook em. "Bless their heart".

Someone disrespects grits? Well, that's foolish. Good grits are awesome. Luckily here in Cincinnati i have a place that serves them up right about a mile down the road. My favorite breakfast there is a broiled grapefruit with a ginger-brown sugar crust and a bowl of cheddar grits with two poached eggs on top.

Back