Keto Rub??

Icetech

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys, soo.. i have used Yardbird as my rub for like 5 years now.. to me it's the perfect rub. But due to health issues i'm switching to a Keto diet and also happen to need more rub as i ran out.. Yardbird seems to have a ton of sugar which i need to cut down. Can anyone that has done keto recommend a good rub that isn't full of sugar? thanks...

P.S. wasn't sure where to put this post.. so... here it is.. sorry mods :)

The amount of sugar in rubs is negligent in regards to ketogenic diets.

It's not a big deal to continue using the same rubs as the content of the sugar is negligible in the terms of the entire plate of food you would have.

Your only issue going forward is that you might find these rubs taste too sweet for you as your taste changes.

Ahh thank you guys :) I should actually try a different rub anyway eh? Yardbird is just sooo good..

And yeah, it's not that it's a ton of sugar. BUT through a day every bit adds up.. just trying to be as efficient as possible. Thanks a ton!

https://kosmosq.com/cow-cover-rub/

no sugar. I do keto too and use this on everything from steaks to pork ribs, even chicken. Great flavor and no sugar.

Of course, good old course sea salt, black pepper and garlic is perfect for keto too.

thank you, will try that out if i don't like some homemade ones i got recipes for :) Keto seems a pain to get used to but once i figure out what's ok and not it should go ok..

Doing research today supposedly it helps a ton with depression.. plus dropping a few pounds won't hurt.. (topping 180 now :( )

Ive been doing keto for a year now. Always make my own rubs usually some form of Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, onion and garlic, and cayenne. I even add a touch of sugar at times it doesn’t take much once you get your taste buds back to normal. For beef I leave out the paprika, cayenne and sugar.

Good luck on the diet your going to feel so much better and will wish you started it sooner.

Naturiffic Q-Salt!

11731f4dbe1382aad57db83709dc2f24.jpg

(All our other seasonings are sugar free as well!)

Yep! Naturiffic rubs are great!

Also, Sucklebusters Texas Hold Um No Sugar is good, and Flavor King has a bunch of rubs without sugar.

https://kosmosq.com/cow-cover-rub/

no sugar. I do keto too and use this on everything from steaks to pork ribs, even chicken. Great flavor and no sugar.

Of course, good old course sea salt, black pepper and garlic is perfect for keto too.

Huh? Sugar is listed as the 4th ingredient in Cow Cover. While the sugar content might not be substantial there is absolutely sugar in the rub.

@IceTech, I've done KETO / Paleo for a while now and a few months ago did a Whole 30. The best way to control what you eat is to make everything from scratch. While this is a bit tough at first it's really the only way you can know for sure what you're eating. A KETO BBQ rub is super simple to make:

1. Start with a 50/50 blend of salt and black pepper.
2. Add some onion powder and garlic powder (if you like those things).
3. Start adding in your favorite spice; jalapeno powder, chipotle powder, cayenne powder, etc.. Add a bit, stir, taste...keep repeating until you like the amount of heat in the rub.
4. Start adding "earthy" elements a bit by bit to balance things out (optional of course). Things like mustard powder, celery seed (must be pulverized or crushed) or celery salt, Hungarian paprika.

This has worked very well for me and it's super simple and relatively inexpensive. As you keep on doing KETO your taste buds will change, so you can always alter the rub by adding a bit more heat or earthy notes to please the palate.

Good luck on KETO and sorry to hear about the health issues. Sugar will be the death of us all...that rotten stuff is hiding in just about everything we eat from cradle to grave.

dang it. thanks for catching that.

Yeah, it's tough...even though the sugar is listed as "0 grams" there's still sugar in the rub. There's TONS of this kind of stuff when declaring ingredients and nutritional content. Tic-Tac's, for instance, say they have zero sugar but are made MOSTLY of sugar. But each piece is less than 1/2 of a gram, so they can list it as "0 sugars" on the nutritional label.

I learned a lot about this madness when I was doing the Whole 30 (basically 30 days of no sugar, no grain, no processed foods). It was definitely eye opening in how sugar is snuck into just about everything we eat.

that is crazy. I caught the same thing when I bought a bottle of Siracha sauce. On the nutrition it says 0 sugar but sugar is listed as the 4th ingredient. You are right. They sneak sugar in everywhere. Just make sure you look at ingredients as well as nutrition label.

Man.. i haven't been on the forum in like 2 years.. i forgot how awesome you guys are :) Really about the nicest place on the internet. So.. not really doing this for dieting, i'm only about 8 pounds off my goal weight which i could do with intermittent fasting fairly easily. BUT.. i have been having depression issues BAD lately and talking to a friend she told me to read up on a lady that went through this so i found the video below and it convinced me to try it..

I have also had some bad allergies for bout 20 years no one can figure out and i'm pretty sure it's diet based.. so this is a good way to cut out stuff and see :)

The way she talks about her symptoms is pretty much like she was in my head.. hope this works..
P.S. 2 boiled eggs and 3 slices of bacon for breakfast:)

https://youtu.be/gorQS_K0cIo

Back