MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Icetech
On the road to being a farker

Default Keto Rub??

Hi guys, soo.. i have used Yardbird as my rub for like 5 years now.. to me it's the perfect rub. But due to health issues i'm switching to a Keto diet and also happen to need more rub as i ran out.. Yardbird seems to have a ton of sugar which i need to cut down. Can anyone that has done keto recommend a good rub that isn't full of sugar? thanks...

P.S. wasn't sure where to put this post.. so... here it is.. sorry mods :)
Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

https://kosmosq.com/cow-cover-rub/

no sugar. I do keto too and use this on everything from steaks to pork ribs, even chicken. Great flavor and no sugar.

Of course, good old course sea salt, black pepper and garlic is perfect for keto too.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I know Keto is no sugar, but the amount of sugar listed on the package of most rubs for nutrition info is 0. We were still using regular rubs for keto. However, Naturiffic has several no sugar rubs, and there are others too. I use a lot of Oakridge rub too.

Here is a whole 30/paleo rub with no sugar:
https://www.thepinningmama.com/homem...paleo-whole30/

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

The amount of sugar in rubs is negligent in regards to ketogenic diets.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

It's not a big deal to continue using the same rubs as the content of the sugar is negligible in the terms of the entire plate of food you would have.

Your only issue going forward is that you might find these rubs taste too sweet for you as your taste changes.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Icetech

Ahh thank you guys :) I should actually try a different rub anyway eh? Yardbird is just sooo good..

And yeah, it's not that it's a ton of sugar. BUT through a day every bit adds up.. just trying to be as efficient as possible. Thanks a ton!

Old 01-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Icetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I know Keto is no sugar, but the amount of sugar listed on the package of most rubs for nutrition info is 0. We were still using regular rubs for keto. However, Naturiffic has several no sugar rubs, and there are others too. I use a lot of Oakridge rub too.

Here is a whole 30/paleo rub with no sugar:
https://www.thepinningmama.com/homem...paleo-whole30/

I think i will try that as i should have everything to make it up anyway :) thanks.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
Icetech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post

no sugar. I do keto too and use this on everything from steaks to pork ribs, even chicken. Great flavor and no sugar.

Of course, good old course sea salt, black pepper and garlic is perfect for keto too.

thank you, will try that out if i don't like some homemade ones i got recipes for :) Keto seems a pain to get used to but once i figure out what's ok and not it should go ok..

Doing research today supposedly it helps a ton with depression.. plus dropping a few pounds won't hurt.. (topping 180 now :( )

Old 01-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

While you are at it... check out our Keto thread.

It's a good long read now which might help you a bit.

Cheers!
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Pig Nutz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Steve

Ive been doing keto for a year now. Always make my own rubs usually some form of Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, onion and garlic, and cayenne. I even add a touch of sugar at times it doesn’t take much once you get your taste buds back to normal. For beef I leave out the paprika, cayenne and sugar.

Good luck on the diet your going to feel so much better and will wish you started it sooner.
Pig Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Big Andy
Take a breath!

The General Purpose rub has some suger, but doesn't taste sweet. This is my favorite all around rub. https://madhunkymeats.com/
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Naturiffic Q-Salt!

(All our other seasonings are sugar free as well!)

Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Yep! Naturiffic rubs are great!

Also, Sucklebusters Texas Hold Um No Sugar is good, and Flavor King has a bunch of rubs without sugar.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
Victory

Salt/pepper/garlic/cumin/cayenne is my go to rub.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #15
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post

Huh? Sugar is listed as the 4th ingredient in Cow Cover. While the sugar content might not be substantial there is absolutely sugar in the rub.

@IceTech, I've done KETO / Paleo for a while now and a few months ago did a Whole 30. The best way to control what you eat is to make everything from scratch. While this is a bit tough at first it's really the only way you can know for sure what you're eating. A KETO BBQ rub is super simple to make:

1. Start with a 50/50 blend of salt and black pepper.
2. Add some onion powder and garlic powder (if you like those things).
3. Start adding in your favorite spice; jalapeno powder, chipotle powder, cayenne powder, etc.. Add a bit, stir, taste...keep repeating until you like the amount of heat in the rub.
4. Start adding "earthy" elements a bit by bit to balance things out (optional of course). Things like mustard powder, celery seed (must be pulverized or crushed) or celery salt, Hungarian paprika.

This has worked very well for me and it's super simple and relatively inexpensive. As you keep on doing KETO your taste buds will change, so you can always alter the rub by adding a bit more heat or earthy notes to please the palate.

Good luck on KETO and sorry to hear about the health issues. Sugar will be the death of us all...that rotten stuff is hiding in just about everything we eat from cradle to grave.