Veterans Golden Age Games - volunteers needed

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Attention Brethren:
Myself, Shagdog, and Chicagokp started a BBQ charity group 2 years ago called Midwest BBQ Outreach, Inc. We have just booked our biggest event yet for this summer! Each year, the Veterans Administration has a veteran olympics. It is at a different VA every year. This year it is coming to the Madison, Wisconsin VA. The National Veterans Golden Age Games is an AWESOME event and we are super excited to be a part of it. We are doing a BBQ for 1500-2000 veterans and volunteers from across the country! We are looking for any Brethren who are interested in helping cook at the event and are willing to bring their smokers. The event is on June 25 (which is a Thursday). Dinner service is from 5:30-8 tentatively. I know it is less than ideal that it is on a Thursday but it is for the vets! Who would like to be a part of this Nationwide gathering of veterans? These big cooks are a ton of work but a ton of fun too. If you are not familiar with our group, check out our website at www.midwestbbqoutreach.org

To learn more about the Veterans Golden Age Games, check out their website:

https://goldenagegames.fusesport.com/

If anyone wants more info or is interested in helping cook for the vets, let me know. It’s going to be a great event!!

I don't have any large enough cookers to make a meaningful impact on meat output, but am willing to help if additional manpower is needed. Just need to check the family schedule before I put it in ink, but I think I'm GTG. Let me know if we need even more manpower, and Rick/Andy might be available as well.

We still doing the Milwaukee VA cook this year also?

I don't have any large enough cookers to make a meaningful impact on meat output, but am willing to help if additional manpower is needed. Just need to check the family schedule before I put it in ink, but I think I'm GTG. Let me know if we need even more manpower, and Rick/Andy might be available as well.

We still doing the Milwaukee VA cook this year also?

Milwaukee VA is a no go this year. And, of course we need your manpower! You are a big part of it every year!

I'm in! I can come mid-morning, after I get the crews going at work, then I'm about 20 minutes away. Andy starts his internship in June, and almost certainly can't make it. Rick is checking his work schedule, and I'll let you know asap. Let me know if we get in a pinch, and I'll see if I can get some other folks around here to jump in!

Great thing you are doing, Chris! :cool:

I'm in for this cook, were booked solid with catering jobs that week so I can only commit one smoker and myself but it would be my big elevated straight back Shirley Fab and I could use a hand if you guy's want to come and cook that pit takes a crew to keep it full up and running to capacity.

I’ll prolly bring a cooker too if it’s needed..... ain’t nothing to hook one up even if it’s our farm rig....

Ya'll are welcome to stop overnight at the house on the way up if you like Paul, instead of dealing with the Chicago traffic and tolls to get up to Wisconsin I'll tow the smoker North into Michigan and get on the high speed express ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin it drops us off right near the Madison VA and the scenery is pretty cool.

It would be epic to have two Shirley Fabs on the ship at the same time!

https://www.lake-express.com/

I'm in for this cook, were booked solid with catering jobs that week so I can only commit one smoker and myself but it would be my big elevated straight back Shirley Fab and I could use a hand if you guy's want to come and cook that pit takes a crew to keep it full up and running to capacity.

Ya'll are welcome to stop overnight at the house on the way up if you like Paul, instead of dealing with the Chicago traffic and tolls to get up to Wisconsin I'll tow the smoker North into Michigan and get on the high speed express ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin it drops us off right near the Madison VA and the scenery is pretty cool.

It would be epic to have two Shirley Fabs on the ship at the same time!

https://www.lake-express.com/

Outstanding! Thanks, Bob! Shoot me your email address and I will add you to the volunteer email group! Thanks!

I should be available to help out, and will likely bring my son, and possibly my wife as well. Not sure I have much to offer in the way of a cooker to bring, though.

Is there a need for a bunch of hands for tasks like handing out food, cleaning up, etc? My son is in scouts, and some of the boys from his troop might be willing to come out as well -- they are always looking for community service opportunities.

Back