MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #3106
Spur08
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Spur08

Rectec 700 here. Love it. Customer service is unmatched
Spur08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #3107
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Bought the SmokeFire today...

I couldn’t take it any more...
Definitely want to hear your thoughts once you receive it and fire it up.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #3108
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
What are your requirements in a pellet grill?

-Low n slow only, or will you be grilling? I would love for it to be able to do everything. But the whole 600* isn't necessary, but definitely wouldn't be a negative.

-How cold do the winter months get in your neck of the woods? most of the time for 2 months may be in the 30's or low 40's so not super cold.

-What types of proteins do you think you'll be cooking most often? Ribs, chicken, burgers, pork chops,Boston Butts (although it's hard to beat butts on my WSM) and occasional brisket.

-How many people do you feed on a regular basis, and do you enjoy entertaining? What's the highest head count you think you'd be feeding at one time from this cooker? Normally 3-8 but could get as high as 12 or so (love entertaining and may would do more once I build a house right now we still live in my old single wide former bachelor pad. I also, may would consider taking it from time to time to cook in some competitions.

-When you say that you want something "as easy to clean as possible"... exactly how clean are you talking? Scrape down the drip pan and vacuum out the ash on a regular basis... with the occasional scrape/wipe down of the interior walls? Or are you talking showroom clean after every cook? I'm not and OCD clean freak by any means, but the whole vacuuming ash out seems to be a headache. I understand if I have to do it, but as little clean up as positive would definitely be a positive.

Let's start there and see where it leads... :)
Maybe this will help with some recommendations, I am all ears.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #3109
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Definitely want to hear your thoughts once you receive it and fire it up.
I’ll start a thread and see what she’ll do!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #3110
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker jayson View Post
I didn't read throught all 207 pages but does anyone have the RecTec smoker? im interested in investing in one. just want to hear some honest reviews
I have the 700, and bullseye. no issues and love both for different reasons. I am about to upgrade to the BFG soon for more room on some comps i like to do.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #3111
4ever3

Just an observation...

While the combustion fan on the GMG was out the crew wanted meatloaf, we’ve only cooked meatloaf on the GMG since we bought it. So I said no problem, I’ll smoke it on Waylon, brought it up to 350°, let the temp stabilize, and put the meatloaf on. Take it off and serve it, took my first bite and said to myself “this is an off tasting smoke sorta dirty smoke” but I didn’t say anything to anyone. First one kid, then another, then Mrs 4ever3, generally said, this smoke is off, one kid even said “this smoke flavor isn’t as clean as the pooper!”

Lump charcoal, clean burning fire, barely visible thin blue coming out the vent, but everyone preferred the GMG...

YMMV

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Old 02-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #3112
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Just an observation...

While the combustion fan on the GMG was out the crew wanted meatloaf, we’ve only cooked meatloaf on the GMG since we bought it. So I said no problem, I’ll smoke it on Waylon, brought it up to 350°, let the temp stabilize, and put the meatloaf on. Take it off and serve it, took my first bite and said to myself “this is an off tasting smoke sorta dirty smoke” but I didn’t say anything to anyone. First one kid, then another, then Mrs 4ever3, generally said, this smoke is off, one kid even said “this smoke flavor isn’t as clean as the pooper!”

Lump charcoal, clean burning fire, barely visible thin blue coming out the vent, but everyone preferred the GMG...

YMMV

Totally get it, and that’s exactly where I find myself. Since acquiring my first pellet grill about 4 years ago, it seems the charcoal flavor has just become less and less desirable to me. It’s not that I don’t like charcoal cooked food, but it’s just not as pleasant as pellet cooked. I have mentioned it before, but I get a lot more compliments on the food that comes off the MAK than any other cooker I have ever cooked on... and that is quite a few... something I did not at all expect to happen when I bought an first old used MAK a little over 4 years ago.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #3113
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I have a question (or more).

I've always missed the flavor that an actual wood burning pit provided (Darn you Hickory Pit restaurants!). The WSM didn't provide it (and was IMO thermally inefficient). The BGE doesn't provide it (far more thermally efficient but to me it tastes like stale smoke). I currently have a LSG 20" which provides the to me BEST smoke profile. That being said - the LSG is more needy than my parrot. Does the MAK really = an offset for smoke flavor (someone said yes, but that IIRC they did one cook with the MAK which to me ruined any credibility they had). As well the new Weber smoker seems to look like a knock off of the MAK with their stackless venting system - perhaps it's equivalent?

Edit: I live near San Francisco - that means regardless of time of year there's generally a thick layer of fog which sucks the heat (and fun) out everything.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #3114
KevinJ

MAKtion

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #3115
4ever3

Holy BUCKETS MAN!!!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

Old 02-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #3116
rwalters

My friend... it appears you’ve been busy knocking out some fantastic grub. Nice work [emoji39]

Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #3117
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post

I've always missed the flavor that an actual wood burning pit provided (Darn you Hickory Pit restaurants!). The WSM didn't provide it (and was IMO thermally inefficient). The BGE doesn't provide it (far more thermally efficient but to me it tastes like stale smoke). I currently have a LSG 20" which provides the to me BEST smoke profile. That being said - the LSG is more needy than my parrot. Does the MAK really = an offset for smoke flavor (someone said yes, but that IIRC they did one cook with the MAK which to me ruined any credibility they had). As well the new Weber smoker seems to look like a knock off of the MAK with their stackless venting system - perhaps it's equivalent?

Edit: I live near San Francisco - that means regardless of time of year there's generally a thick layer of fog which sucks the heat (and fun) out everything.

I get nervous answering questions like this as taste is soooo subjective. Personally, I find very little difference when comparing the end result I get from my MAK to what I used to get from my M1 when burning a super clean fire. Biggest difference is that I could choke the fire back on the M1 and dirty the smoke up a bit if I wanted a heavier flavor. Can’t do that with pellets. To me, there is a bigger difference between charcoal/chunks and pellets than there is between sticks and pellets.

YMMV :)

Old 02-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #3118
tom b

Good looking grub Kevin, good to see you around too

Old 02-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #3119
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post

It is not going to be exactly the same but of all the cookers I have the smoke flavor from my MAK is as close as I get to my offset. The MAK gets a lot more use than the offset also.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #3120
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I get nervous answering questions like this as taste is soooo subjective. Personally, I find very little difference when comparing the end result I get from my MAK to what I used to get from my M1 when burning a super clean fire. Biggest difference is that I could choke the fire back on the M1 and dirty the smoke up a bit if I wanted a heavier flavor. Can’t do that with pellets. To me, there is a bigger difference between charcoal/chunks and pellets than there is between sticks and pellets.

YMMV :)
I'm right with you! The last time I cooked Beef Ribs on my PBC I had perfect bark, smoke ring, and doneness. Problem is they tasted too much like Charcoal and Wood Chunks! (I used a lot of wood) Ended up saving most of the meat for use in beans which was perfect. I've never had an "Oversmoked" piece of meat on my FEC-100 Pellet Pooper, and suspect that my taste buds have just adjusted. I only get this oversmoked taste on charcoal and wood cookers which is ironic because I own two of them!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote