Question about WSM 22

TC Smoke & Que

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Saturday I finally got to season my new WSM 22. It was easier to use than I thought and the advice I got from some of the Brethren here really shortened the learning curve for me.
I used about a 3/4 full charcoal ring and let her smoke for about 8 hours before she was almost out of enough charcoal to maintain the temp.. I used the minion method, and only had a small spike about 4 hours in; was able to bring it down quickly and maintain after.
Now my question, Has anyone used the charcoal ring from an WSM 18 in the 22 for a shorter cook? It seemed as at the end of the smoke, the charcoal was more spread out and had to be brought together to maintain temp, which also caused some ash to rise up when I moved them together. I dont want to have ash on the food in future cooks and thought that the smaller ring would help in those 4 -6 hr cooks.
Am I thinking too far out of the box on this?
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I have done it and know others that have as well.

It works just fine as you suggest. I currently run a Hunsaker plate in mine so don't have to worry about the ash. If I want to use less charcoal (say for pork ribs rather than butts), I just fill the 22 ring half way up, but if you don't have a diffuser and worry about ash...the 18 ring will do just fine.

I've lifted the body off of mine a time or two to adjust things. Sure, you get a temperature spike but, it settles down pretty fast and there is no worry about ash with the body set off to the side.

A smaller fire ring or a Vortex might be something to get for your issue. Also, I ended up at a restaurant supply and bought a shellfish service dish meant for an ice self-service buffet that works really well when I don't run the water bowl. It also will suppress ash flight up onto the meat if you keep it the WSM body when you play with the fire.

Buy a 12X24 piece if expanded metal at HD.
Cut in half. Length wise.
Make/bend a ring/box sides 6" high to what ever you like. Set ontop of your webber coal grate.
Mine full is 6 hrs max at 275*. Almost full is a 4 hr cook at 325*. Etc etc.
Works great.

I can run at 250*F for 16 hours on my 18" WSM using a full ring of KBB and 1/2 chim to light. Are you using lump?

I was using RO classic briq. for the seasoning, but will be using Weber briq for future cooks.I have a local Ace that also sends me monthly (2) cupons $5-$7 off rewards. Used to use Cowboys, but no one carry's it any more.
The RO was a "Christmas present" from my daughter (couldnt fit it in my stocking), so I figured it would be good for the seasoning.

I dont use lump, but may try in the future.
Will order the 18 ring for shorter cooks.
Thanks for the feed back Mike

I'll second what Mike said about the hunsaker plate. I got tired of the drip pan pretty quickly and never used water. The hunsaker plate is awesome.

Back