Flavor profile....stick burner vs gravity flow

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is the flavor profile of a gravity fed smoker vs stick burner? With two kids and an busy schedule convenience is starting to win. Thinking of going the gravity flow route to compliment my Yoder YS640. Want something I can do unattended/overnight cooks. Can’t trust the yoder to do so because the electric company sucks and the power will periodically and randomly blink.

Close...but it's not a stick burner.
I wondered the same when I bought the LSG insulated. End of the day...my schedule required a maintenance free cooker and it just fell ta myself ta get the taste as close as possible. Zero regret and I'll do it again when times are better.

-D

Pretty Close for me but I mix wood chunks in the chute - a lot of chunks and run 300* ish

I'd assume the gravity flow taste is similar to an IVC. Not the same, I only kept my IVC for a couple of months. The entire premise of a stick burner is airflow and convective heat. Neither of which you are replicating with a gravity fed or IVC.

I'll second this. Absolutely nothing equals an all wood cook. And this keeps me coming back to the stick burner even though I know I'm tied to it all day. Now that winter is setting in however......

I didn't think my GF got that close to my stick burner. Just not enough airflow.
My insulated cabinet gets much closer. I can run a maze in my fire basket that allows me to open the intake a little more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll second the idea of using an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). It looks like your cooker only draws 2 amps, so just about any low end UPS should take care of you. Check out the CyberPower CP350SLG on Amazon.

Stick burner lighter and cleaner flavor. Gravity feed can be heavier and more dense smoke flavor imo. Nothing beats a stick burner for flavor, but obvious downfalls with them also regarding attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing beats my stick burner, but when I want to set it and forget it I'll use my Big Green Egg. I just don't trust any cooker with moving parts or requires electricity to run. I've seen too many FB posts about people waking up in the morning to find the temps dropped or some mechanical error ruined the cook.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If you're like me, I've had multiple stickburners but only one IVC. Stickburner flavor is what I like, and I figured out the hard way by losing some $$$ on the IVC when I sold it. But even with the extra attention required, a stickburner is what I am satisfied with at the end of the day. Just like my last pit purchase, I really wanted a 250 but talked myself into the 115 gallon to save money. Now I'm in queue for a 250.

I'd say if you've cooked with a stickburner before and that's what you like, then get one. Nothing else will satisfy you. You'll miss playing with fire, the flavor, the awe factor. All part of the cooking experience.

Back