MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
SouthernSmokeRings
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Burger Fat Content

Was thinking about getting the meat grinder attachment for our kitchenaid mixer but wanted to get some tips for getting the right fat content for burgers. Just trying to get a better understanding ding of how I know the fat content of the burgers and what fats I need to add in to get the mixture correct.
SouthernSmokeRings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
Bklmt2000
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brian K

80/20 meat-to-fat is a good place to start.
Bklmt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
SouthernSmokeRings
Knows what a fatty is.

That’s not my question. How do I know it’s 80/20 or 75/25? My question is how do I know the fat content is correct if I’m grinding burgers myself?
SouthernSmokeRings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Use a scale.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Update, just read your second post. A scale sounds good to me.

I have the same grinder and it says in the instructions to put it through the grinder twice.

My supermarket always has 80/20 that is fresh ground 3 times a day. For the price, I don’t bother grinding my own anymore.

Chris

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #6
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Briskett and boneless rib roast. That's what we put in our KA grinder. Only goes thru once. We also add a few tablespoons of rendered bacon fat/lb
for that extra smooth goodness.

It's difficult to go back using the assorted scraps and fat the market calls 80/20 (I'm sure it is by weight), just doesn't taste the same

Old 06-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSmokeRings View Post
Was thinking about getting the meat grinder attachment for our kitchenaid mixer but wanted to get some tips for getting the right fat content for burgers. Just trying to get a better understanding ding of how I know the fat content of the burgers and what fats I need to add in to get the mixture correct.

That’s not my question. How do I know it’s 80/20 or 75/25? My question is how do I know the fat content is correct if I’m grinding burgers myself?
In a perfect world of lean and fat all you need is a scale and calculator. Let's say you want to make 10 pounds of hamburger..... For a 90/10 ratio, start with 9 pounds of lean meat and add 1 pound of fat. For a 80/20 ratio, start with 8 pounds of lean and add 2 pounds of fat. There are a couple of other calculation methods to get the true lean to fat ratios, one is called Pearson's square, and the other is the lean point. There are also lab tests that can determine this. What myself and most people go by is called the "source grind" method which means... meat from a particular area of a steer has a somewhat consistent fat ratio.

Ground sirloin is roughly 10% fat. Select this if you want 90/10 burger and you will be really close.
Ground round is around 12% fat.
Ground chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat. This will be close to a 80/20 ratio.
Ground brisket will be 20% + fat.

With these approximate percentages you can experiment with different ratios and flavor profiles. For example

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Also, you can add ground pork into your ground beef, but pork that is sourced from different areas of a hog also has different lean to fat ratios. Pork butt is 25% to 30% fat depending on your degree of trimming (perfect for making sausage), pork loin would be 8% to 10% fat.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Grind a full packer brisket, and you'll be fine. A chuck roast usually has plenty of fat, but typically slightly less than a brisket...choose one with the most fat you can find.

Brisket can taste more 'beefy', and I like that. A USDA Select can be fairly inexpensive, and will ALWAYS be better than the ground beef in a tube (or even the 'fresh grind' from the grocery).

The more fat you have, the more shrinkage you can expect. On a regular grill with grates, you will probably want to pat out your patties a bit flatter with a larger diameter to compensate for the shrinkage. Otherwise they will likely shrink & plump as they cook. If you're cooking on a flat top griddle, just do the smash when they go on...hold them to the griddle surface for 5-10 seconds...they won't shrink much after that.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

If you plan to make burgers you may want to get a good burger press and burger papers. I’ve been using this Weston model for years and really like it. Weston Burger Express Hamburger Press with Patty Ejector (07-0310-W), Makes 4 1/2" Patties, 1/4lb to 3/4lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB45DO..._MNlgDbR9N9K69

You can set to fill out the hamburger form without squishing the meat. I form my own patty’s when doing cooks for groups of people.

I never go crazy with all of the meat and additive combinations some other people do, and to be quite honest I don’t like my burgers like that. Something as simple a good fresh ground beef with salt and pepper can be perfection in the same way that a good fresh baked roll from a bread bakery and good butter can be.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

My wife will not eat ground meat if there is any pink showing at all. So.... I prefer 27% fat or so. This allows the meat to be fully cooked yet still juicy. Actually 80/20 is fine but the other give more leeway.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
In a perfect world of lean and fat all you need is a scale and calculator. Let's say you want to make 10 pounds of hamburger..... For a 90/10 ratio, start with 9 pounds of lean meat and add 1 pound of fat. For a 80/20 ratio, start with 8 pounds of lean and add 2 pounds of fat. There are a couple of other calculation methods to get the true lean to fat ratios, one is called Pearson's square, and the other is the lean point. There are also lab tests that can determine this. What myself and most people go by is called the "source grind" method which means... meat from a particular area of a steer has a somewhat consistent fat ratio.

Ground sirloin is roughly 10% fat. Select this if you want 90/10 burger and you will be really close.
Ground round is around 12% fat.
Ground chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat. This will be close to a 80/20 ratio.
Ground brisket will be 20% + fat.

With these approximate percentages you can experiment with different ratios and flavor profiles. For example

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin

2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin

3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin

4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket

5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

Also, you can add ground pork into your ground beef, but pork that is sourced from different areas of a hog also has different lean to fat ratios. Pork butt is 25% to 30% fat depending on your degree of trimming (perfect for making sausage), pork loin would be 8% to 10% fat.
Noted.
Very informative.
Thank ye kindly

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
frankenfab
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Franklin

I'm working my way up to grinding some burger myself, but I already know that I like different ratios for different things. For a grilled or griddle burger, I like 80/20.

But for tacos, I enjoy the fatty taste of well drained cheap 73/27.
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
I'm working my way up to grinding some burger myself, but I already know that I like different ratios for different things. For a grilled or griddle burger, I like 80/20.

But for tacos, I enjoy the fatty taste of well drained cheap 73/27.
Also try different grinds. A coarse grind is good in chile, tacos, and nachos where as you might want a finer grind for meatballs.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
qapla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Qapla

For chili I prefer a courser grind once thru

For a burger, I like a finer grind twice thru

Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Now ressurecting this thread that I carefully read after I got my first meat grinder, trying to decide what projects to do. I ended up with a 7# pork shoulder and a 13# packer brisket. Projects were Italian sausage, brats, and hamburget.

Italian was 100# pork and turned out very well using AC Legg seasoning.

I didn't see anything in this thread about trimming, but when I went to the brisket, it just seemed very fatty to me so I carved off maybe 2# -- much less than I would have taken if I was going to smoke it.

Went 50/50 pork and brisket for the brats. Resulting sausages were a very pale pink and shrunk to about 50% length when cooked. Quite funny, actually, when I pulled out an instant read thermometer after checking I got a geyser of hot liquid fat that went 3-4" into the air.

Went 100% brisket for the hamburger and got even paler pink. Making patties was difficult because the meat was so soft and floppy that you could hardly pick it up. No surprise, there was huge shrink when I cooked some burgers.

So ... my conclusion is that I need to trim a brisket very aggressively, leaving only the intramuscular fat. Maybe even not leave the usual 1/4" of the fat cap.

Comments? Do you guys really grind brisket without trimming first?
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote