MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #31
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Secret weapon and mayo you say?

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #32
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Works for me.

Last edited by robert-r; 08-09-2017 at 08:09 PM..
robert-r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
Great post Moose and the Chicken looks delicious.
I have only had Chicken Grilled, not smoked. Guess I need to try some smoke
try using Yoghurt the same way and tell me what you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
Greek yogurt is what I use and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always use yogurt when I make tandoori chicken, and it's fine, though the whole purpose of using mayo is the high fat content. The fat seems to attract heat to the chicken which in turn, helps render the fat more quickly and effectively. I also had a few small grease fires in my drum towards the end of the cook...
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #34
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

My grandmother started grilling chicken with mayo back in the 50's based on a recipe from the local gas company and it has been a favorite since. Better then Cornell Chicken any day, but for some reason it lingers in the background and never gets the recognition it deserves.

Try adding a little acid to the mayo. The base formula I use is 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Season to taste, and that can mean salt and pepper or a full blown rub as moose did, or anything in between that does not have much sugar. You can also substitute lime for the lemon or leave out the ketchup and replace with another acid/color source depending on the flavor profile you are after.

It is actually much of the same acid + oil + salt theory behind Cornell chicken and so many other recipes but with mayo as the source of oil.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #35
RJ_Make
On the road to being a farker

Another tasty lookin meal

Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #36
Dmakkk
Take a breath!

Can't wait to try this on the weekend.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #37
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

That's a fine looking bird Moose! Well done.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #38
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
My grandmother started grilling chicken with mayo back in the 50's based on a recipe from the local gas company and it has been a favorite since. Better then Cornell Chicken any day, but for some reason it lingers in the background and never gets the recognition it deserves.

Try adding a little acid to the mayo. The base formula I use is 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Season to taste, and that can mean salt and pepper or a full blown rub as moose did, or anything in between that does not have much sugar. You can also substitute lime for the lemon or leave out the ketchup and replace with another acid/color source depending on the flavor profile you are after.

It is actually much of the same acid + oil + salt theory behind Cornell chicken and so many other recipes but with mayo as the source of oil.
Fine....what does the lemon (acid) do????

Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #39
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Gorgeous looking chicken.

I became a mayo cult member yesterday afternoon.

Works great.

Next time, I'm mixing the rub in with the mayo that coats the yardbird. Great method you used.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #40
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post

Personally, I wouldn't say that the mayo slathered bird (At least the way I prepped it) was better than cornell or Roadside chicken, but it was certainly equal. They are just two entirely different flavor profiles, especially using the Oakridge Secret Weapon rub the way I did.

As to the acid you mentioned in your version, one could also substitute apple cider vinegar for lemon or lime juice with good results, I would think.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #41
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Personally, I wouldn't say that the mayo slathered bird (At least the way I prepped it) was better than cornell or Roadside chicken, but it was certainly equal. They are just two entirely different flavor profiles, especially using the Oakridge Secret Weapon rub the way I did.

As to the acid you mentioned in your version, one could also substitute apple cider vinegar for lemon or lime juice with good results, I would think.
Yes to swapping out acids depending on the flavor you are after. With poultry seasoning and cider vinegar hold the ketchup, you could get fairly close to the flavor profile of Cornell chicken if you wanted.

We make both the mayo/lemon/ketchup and the Cornell recipes often, sometimes at the same time and the mayo birds are selected by most, including the biased Cornell grads in the family. You still need to have Cornell chicken periodically around here though, I think it is a law.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #42
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Not trying to hijack your thread but I did a chicken test a few years ago that included mayo. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=186728
BTW, nice job!
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #43
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo1 View Post
Not trying to hijack your thread but I did a chicken test a few years ago that included mayo. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=186728
BTW, nice job!
That was an epic comparison cook you posted, thanks for the reminder!

Old 08-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #44
unixadm
Take a breath!

I just cooked four bone in thighs and they came out great. Mayo + coarse ground pepper, then I seasoned with Oakridge Secret Weapon on all sides and under the skin, added more coarse ground pepper to the top and baked at 380 degrees for about 50-55 minutes. Came out crispy, juicy and very flavorful. Some of the best chicken I've ever baked. :)

No plating pictures because after trying a few pieces, I tossed everything into a container to be pulled tomorrow for fried tacos.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #45
drallan81
On the road to being a farker

I too have been a mayo convert. Slather everything in mayo now before applying the rub. Last brisket and St Louis ribs I did came out the best I've ever made. It makes sense as the main ingredients of mayo are eggs, oil, salt, acid. 3 of the 4 most everyone already applies. Not sure how the egg yolk changes things but it sure does make it better!
drallan81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mayo chicken, mayo slather, mayonnaise chicken