MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
DoctorCueNC
On the road to being a farker

Default Meat supplier

Anyone ever use kc competition meats as their meat supplier for a contest? Either trimmed or not trimmed? It looks like an interesting site and price range for when you don't have a lot of time. Just wondering about quality.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Bee Man
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Ron H

Kieth is a great guy and cook. Always had good luck with Pork. Have not purchased anything else
Bee Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Before you order, ask them how long your order will take to arrive. I ordered 6 trimmed Extra Tender Butts several days before their published weekly ship day, with plans on using them at a contest that week. They didn't get to my house until Friday afternoon and I was long gone. They were defrosted when they arrived and had about a 3 day shelf life. Worthless to me as competition meat. I was able to cook 2 before they spoiled and was refunded 2/3 my product price.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome products and service. I'm KC metro, never had to have them shipped.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
DoctorCueNC

Thanks for the insight. I hadn't heard about them until this past weekend at a contest I judged and was interested to hear any feedback.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 AM   #6
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I ordered once, just to see how it was. I have enough options in my area, that i wont order again, no advantage for me. If you're having trouble finding the meat you want for comps, they can solve that. But like already said, make sure you know the ordering cut off and expected delivery date. Seems like you have to order by Tuesday or Wednesday to get it for the following week.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Qbert60
Take a breath!

Keith and his staff are great. I had a shipping mishap and they made it it right for me. I have ordered butts, briskets, and ribs when i couldn't find Smithfield anywhere. My only criticism is shipping costs. Seems a bit steep.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Before you order, ask them how long your order will take to arrive. I ordered 6 trimmed Extra Tender Butts several days before their published weekly ship day, with plans on using them at a contest that week. They didn't get to my house until Friday afternoon and I was long gone. They were defrosted when they arrived and had about a 3 day shelf life. Worthless to me as competition meat. I was able to cook 2 before they spoiled and was refunded 2/3 my product price.
Being in Florida I can see how there may be some issues with shipping. I live about 4.5 hours away from KC and get my products on Wednesday. Had a couple issues last year when Keith was still operating out of Price Chopper. Luckily his customer service is awesome and he sent me a full replacement box. Ever since he's been operating his own facility my pork has arrived completely frozen. He was even nice enough to cut some pork steaks for me last year.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

We use them and love it. Granted, we are KC Metro so don't have to worry about shipping, but the fact that 2 of our meats are ready to go when we pick them up (brisket and pork trimming) is huge. Saves a ton of time week of a comp.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
jread23

Yikes. I just added 2 racks of ribs to my cart to see how much shipping to NH would be. $30 for the ribs, $15 for "material costs" and $52.87 for shipping for a total of 97.87. Guess I will never order from them.
jread23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 View Post
Yikes. I just added 2 racks of ribs to my cart to see how much shipping to NH would be. $30 for the ribs, $15 for "material costs" and $52.87 for shipping for a total of 97.87. Guess I will never order from them.
How much is it if you ordered enough to do a comp? or multiple? That's got to be the only way that it would be worth it. Especially with Smithfield ETs being available in so many different places these days, paying shipping for them shouldn't be an option for most people.

However, one thing I've noticed is that the ETs we get through them have straighter bones and are generally a better comp rib on average than the ones that we find at Walmart and the like.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 View Post
Was willing to give a try until the shipping costs hit. Emptied the cart and moved on.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Competition, meat, pork, Smithfield, trimmed