MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #31
redhawk
Full Fledged Farker

I use KBB because I can get if for about half the price of Stubb's and I don't notice any difference at all and I don't like lump for my WSM.
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #32
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i switched from kbb to stubbs to heb grand champion. i can get the HEB GC at about $.48/LB regular price and $.36/LB when it goes on sale. i would like to try the Trader Joe's but the closest store is about an hour away. Do It Best is about 45 minutes away. I have HEBs all around me. those of you in Texas might want to give the HEB stuff a try.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #33
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

s'all good man!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #34
chefman316
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art A View Post
Asking for recommendations on what brand of charcoal to use is like asking folks what kind of truck to buy. There's always going to be chevy, ford or dodge folks. Each person chooses their brand based on different criteria and expectations. Personally, I'm usually hauling Kingsford Professional in the back of my chevy truck when I drive home from Costco....but if I saw a ford with the right price, reviews, and features I wanted....who knows, I might switch.
Hahahaha I knew I would get a variety of answers, but just wanted to see what the opinions were.
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
chefman316

I picked up two bags of Ember's Brand Briquettes (made by, and looks exactly the same as Royal Oak Ridge) from Home Depot for $5.99/16lb bag. I'll let you know how they do this weekend.
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #36
CabinFever

Been using Stubbs, mostly because it produces a lot less ash, and im lazy when it comes to cleaning out the ash from my smoker. Backwoods Fatboy here.
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #37
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

coshell are the best briquettes i've ever used, and it's not close.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #38
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

In my opinion of the stuff I can get I rank them royal oak chef select first, kingsford competition second and stubbs third. They are ranked that way because I cook with my nose and of those three chef select smells the best while burning. I don't know what's happened to stubbs in the last year but I'll be danged if it doesn't take forever to get tbs running the minion method nowadays. And even then the smell is kinda off.

So....

1.Chef select natural briquettes by royal oak
2. Kingsford competition
3. Stubbs
4. All the other briquettes from kingsford, royal oak, embers ect.

.....I'm glad this was just briqettes. If it was lump it gets harder.lol

Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #39
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
In my opinion of the stuff I can get I rank them royal oak chef select first, kingsford competition second and stubbs third. They are ranked that way because I cook with my nose and of those three chef select smells the best while burning. I don't know what's happened to stubbs in the last year but I'll be danged if it doesn't take forever to get tbs running the minion method nowadays. And even then the smell is kinda off.

So....

1.Chef select natural briquettes by royal oak
2. Kingsford competition
3. Stubbs
4. All the other briquettes from kingsford, royal oak, embers ect.

.....I'm glad this was just briqettes. If it was lump it gets harder.lol
I'm sure old news to everyone here, but Cowboy bought stubbs charcoal. I've become a huge fan of ROCS. I suggest to anyone to perform this test at home to compare Stubbs and ROCS . . . fill a chimney with stubbs and dump (keyword dump) when top layer is ashed. Do the same with ROCS. My results are startling. Bottom third of the stubbs briqs are marble size. ROCS is almost all original size. I suspect it has a lot to do with the ridge shape of ROCS vs stubbs round size. And then measure time/temps.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #40
Fire Flinger

You pays your money and you takes your choices.

Tags
bbq, beef, charcoal, chicken, kcbs, lump, meat, pork, smoker