MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Jsmiller5245
Found some matches.

Default no smoke in my big joe

I just got a KJ big joe a few days ago. I've been doing test runs and I've
noticed I don't get slot of smoke out of the top. I'm used to running on a stick burner (old country brazos), and I don't expect it to smoke like that. But I don't see any smoke when the temp gets around 250.. running temps of 250-300, with Apple wood chunks
Jsmiller5245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That's what you want to see. That means that the fire is burning cleanly

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Ron is right. You shouldn't see a lot of smoke even on your stick burner except when you add a stick.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Jsmiller5245
Found some matches.

Thanks. I've brand new to the kamado joe, but I'm super excited to learn all it can do.. Gonna try a pork butt this weekend to start it off
Jsmiller5245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
BGWolf
Knows what a fatty is.

You're going to have a great time with your new Kamado Joe. They burn very efficiently, very little airflow needed to maintain temps. Have fun this weekend & don't hesitate to ping us if you have questions or concerns.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
mcdeadstein
Knows what a fatty is.

Coming from a stick burner you may find the smoke ring on the kamado to be underwhelming or non-existent sometimes if using lump charcoal. Thats just the product of not burning much fuel. Now that is just cosmetic but it is definitely something i noticed with my KJ. Beyond that the plus side is you'll use so little fuel it is astonishing. I've cooked a brisket for 16 hours and shut it down. Came back the next stay knocked off the ashes and had plenty of charcoal left for a high-ish heat grilling session. I now have both a Lang 48 and a KJ and i really like that combo of offset and kamado.

Also just a tip but the best method to light my KJ ive found is a cheap harbor freight heat gun. That thing gets the lump fired up within minutes.
mcdeadstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Big Joe, Kamado, nosmoke