MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #16
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

OK on the Anova. This is a $150 item.

What sort of sealers are folks fond of?
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
bram03
Knows what a fatty is.

I just got my Anova, going to cook some chicken with it tonight and move on to some surf and turf for this weekend! The Joule is also highly rated. I would look at wither one of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
OK on the Anova. This is a $150 item.

What sort of sealers are folks fond of?
I'm going to use my food saver, or just a zip lock bag...

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm wondering if there's much difference with the various Food Savers. Capacity, maybe?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

OK, I surrender. I just put this on my Christmas list. My bride sells a popular brand of vacuum bags, so no problem there.

https://www.amazon.com/NutriChef-Pre...&sortBy=recent

All I really want is to be able to make a good pseudo-prime rib meal without doing a whole roast.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd want to be able to vac seal a big roast. I suppose that puts me in a $$ sealer category...

Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I bought the Anova on sale.

It has worked flawless so far. I use my large stockpot and the temp is rock solid, id say it could easily handle a large roast or brisket.

I have a foodsaver sealer. Low end on the grand scheme. It's flaw is doing many seals in a row.one or 2 seals fine. Too many in a row can cause burn out. I use it for sous vide, if i was gonna need to use it for something large id just get a large bag, couldn't justify the xtra expense the the times id need it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I have a foodsaver sealer. Low end on the grand scheme. It's flaw is doing many seals in a row.
Same with me, I got the cheapie. Inside it says to let it rest for 30 secs between sealing, not a problem. I've done big roasts in it and it works just fine.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Great post lots of info and I can hear an Anova calling my name, it's very faint but I can hear it. I don't have a sealer and I understand some folks just use Ziploc bags. Are the Ziplocs as effective?
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #24
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
I'd want to be able to vac seal a big roast. I suppose that puts me in a $$ sealer category...
Hey Ted,

That's not necessarily true. Just get these rolls of 15" wide bags. You can cut off as much as you need to cover the length of the roast. Since most home sealers are 12" wide or less, you'll need to do a two-step sealing process. First put a seal across the corners of the bag on the bottom of the bag. Cut the corners off. Now the sealable width of the bag is under the 12" wide sealer bar of your foodsaver machine. Stick your roast in the bag, and repeat the two-step sealing.

Here's an example of the bags:

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #25
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

I have an Anova wifi (900 watts) that I use in a 33 quart (8+ gallon) coleman stacker cooler and smaller vessels. I have not tried anything bigger yet, but it had no issues at all with the 33 quarts and I am sure can handle larger if you are not starting from cold water. You need three things, temperature measurement and control, heater, and circulation. Anything where precise temperatures mater will absolutely require the circulation piece. The immersion circulators like the Anova are a great blend of ease and flexibility.

I have done a mix of ziplock and foodsaver bags. Vacuum sealing is definitely easier and better for many things but not always necessary. If you can get almost all of the air out, you are good.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #26
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I see we're on the second generation of Anova. There is a 800W Bluetooth and a 900W WiFi. I'm going for the 900W

Tags
sous vide, sousvide