Chicken skin (not the usual question)

hubmacfan

Reaction score
I'm practicing my chicken thighs this weekend in anticipation of my first competition in a few weeks. After scraping the skin, I go to reattach it with some toothpicks. I am having an incredibly hard time getting the toothpicks to pierce the skin. Anyone ever had this problem?

(BTW, I know some here don't believe in scraping the skin, but that's the only way I'll eat a thigh; they are normally too fatty for me. I don't want to turn in something I wouldn't eat myself)

I don't scrape anymore, but when I did the skins were so thin that you could see through them and a toothpick would go through with no issues. Maybe you need to scrape more. Or... Use these...

http://amzn.com/B0001VQIY0

:-D

I don't want to turn in something I wouldn't eat myself)

Remember it's not about what you like/don't like..........:becky:

The whole point is to turn in what will score the highest. I'd turn in chicken braised in anchovie juice and sauced with liquid smoke if it did well. :loco:

The bamboo toothpicks are smaller in diameter, really sharp and tough.

LZhb4Ve.jpg

you don't really need toothpicks. wrap the thigh with enough skin to tuck under then start the cook in a pan. you will find that the skin kind of welds onto the meat. you can trim off any excess pieces before saucing.

Just a side note...be VERY careful when using toothpicks or anything that can break off or be over looked and make it to the judges table. Best way ever to get DQ'd.

Grab the thigh from the top. Pierce the thigh with the toothpick, so the toothpick slides between 2 of your fingers. your fingers will hold the skin in place long enough to pierce it. Once it comes through, if you end up stabbing yourself about 6 times a comp you know your doing it right.

I'm not sure if this will be frowned upon here, but this is what I do. After I remove the skin and scrape it, I keep it and the chicken separate until inspection. Then I lay out all the chicken skin on a cutting board fat side facing up. I fill a sifter with Transglutaminase and sprinkle all the skin with it. Then I wrap the skin around the thighs. I put the chicken in my pan, wrap it in saran wrap and put it back in the cooler.

The 10+ hours it sits is enough time for the skin to bond to the meat. You don't have to worry about the skin pulling off. However, if the skin isn't bite through, it can really be messed up.

Back