Injecting a Brisket: Blessing, Blasphemy , or Just Totally Unnecessary?a

BlackDogBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What are yalls thoughts on injecting briskets before smoking? I never have and for reasons unknown to me I seem to be totally against it. Call it intuition or just blind ignorance .

Anyhow I was wondering if it is worth giving it a shot Perhaps it could benefit the flat kind like an insurance policy against dryness ? Perhaps its just a waist of time and resources drowning out the natural beefyness of the brisket.

Having never done it, I have no idea. Interested to see others' experiences. I've injected a pork shoulder and it was OK.

I have injected chicken with oil, vinager, and salt and it turns out great . However it feels like everytime someone injects a brisket Aaron Franklin sheds a tear. Just a hunch.

For cooking at home, I never inject. I'm usually eating it with a sauce, so I don't really sweat it if it's a little more dry than I'd like.

At a contest, I definitely inject. The margin for error is much, much smaller. Injection is really about giving you a bigger margin for error and adding a little flavor.

I actually prefer skipping the injection, but a simple injection of beef broth is one way to dip your toes in the water and see what you like. You can get a lot more sophisticated after that if you want.

I inject briskets much, but not all, of the time. I can’t prove it helps but can you make an argument for how it can hurt? If you decide to inject my recommendation is to use and injection with phosphates. I use Butcher BBQ Prime. I hear good things about Kosmos as well. Hey, try it. I if it doesn’t add then just don’t do jt again. If it does , then ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I inject briskets much, but not all, of the time. I can’t prove it helps but can you make an argument for how it can hurt? If you decide to inject my recommendation is to use and injection with phosphates. I use Butcher BBQ Prime. I hear good things about Kosmos as well. Hey, try it. I if it doesn’t add then just don’t do jt again. If it does , then ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The hell with it just try it. That is sage advice. I appreciate it

The only thing I've noticed huge difference is with chicken. But give it try, don't think it'll hurt unless you inject mountain dew

I like the Myron Mixon injection recipe using Minors Beef Base and Au Jus. I don’t always do it but I do the majority of the time if I’m just cooking one or two. I cooked my first select brisket ever the other day and it came out pretty good, I could tell a difference in the quality vs choice or prime, and I think the injection helped out with the end result. That particular recipe seems to preserve the natural flavor of the beef while making it “beefier” and helping to retain moisture, IMO.

07-AF5-E4-F-1943-4-CD3-8537-8-A823-B23-ABD1.jpg

What are yalls thoughts on injecting briskets before smoking? I never have and for reasons unknown to me I seem to be totally against it. Call it intuition or just blind ignorance .

I'm with ya. I wouldn't say I'm totally against it. Its just not my thing.
Don't cook competition so I don't see the necessity in it. Also I'm very much of the opinion that the meat should be the unadulterated star of the show. I'm not a fan of injections or sauces. When I make ribs I make them dry. I'll provide bottled BBQ sauce (Head Country or Stubbs) for guests and family but I don't slather it all over the meat. The meat should speak for itself. Thats just me though.

I have been injecting my Briskets for a while now, I did not for a long time, but was always coming up hit or miss. I decided to try it and have sense had more briskets come out better quality of taste and tenderness.
I usually use a combination of an Au Ju mix and some "Brisket jelly". The tenderness is usually on point and the flavor richer.
But I know many who don't inject and they have a good product normally, so I guess it comes down to preference. Give it a try an see what you come up with.

I have been injecting my Briskets for a while now, I did not for a long time, but was always coming up hit or miss. I decided to try it and have sense had more briskets come out better quality of taste and tenderness.
I usually use a combination of an Au Ju mix and some "Brisket jelly". The tenderness is usually on point and the flavor richer.
But I know many who don't inject and they have a good product normally, so I guess it comes down to preference. Give it a try an see what you come up with.

Tell me more about this Brisket Jelly. Is it good on toast?

This has been an entertaining thread for me. It is all over the map on who does and who doesnt but yeah I think your right I should just give a shot and see which train I decided to ride on after that.

Thanks man.

Tell me more about phosphates and how the help if you dont mind ? Do they help maintain mosture ? Thanks again.

I'm with ya. I wouldn't say I'm totally against it. Its just not my thing.
Don't cook competition so I don't see the necessity in it. Also I'm very much of the opinion that the meat should be the unadulterated star of the show. I'm not a fan of injections or sauces. When I make ribs I make them dry. I'll provide bottled BBQ sauce (Head Country or Stubbs) for guests and family but I don't slather it all over the meat. The meat should speak for itself. Thats just me though.

Yeah I think we subscribe to similar BBQ Theolgies. I do not use sauce with brisket unless I really screwed it up was overly dry. I do make a vinegar style sauce that I will splash on a pulled pork sandwich. Just enough to cut some of the richness like pickles on a burger but if I am eating the pork sans bun then typically do not use it.

As far as injecting brisket, which I am still not in love with the idea, if you went the route of injecting beef some type of liquid form such as broth or consume then in theory you just upping the beefness factor. I think I am going to draw the conclusion at if you picked out a good well marbled brisket you probably dont need it if you had to settle for a leaner one then might be good insurance.

I have a feeling brisket jelly is the same as my sour dough brisket method

Wagyu, Prime and Choice I don't. Only on Select briskets. It helps the select brisket IMO.

Injection of Brisket????
Your meat in the privacy of your home
Turn Alexa off

I agree with Sako. Depends on the brisket grade. Select certainly needs something. Choice and Prime do not.

Back