brisket over smoke - timing question

gjertsen

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a 19.25lb. USDA Prime brisket (from Costco) and my understanding is that @ 225F I should account for 1.25hrs/pound, wrapping at the stall (165 degrees or thereabout).

I only just got it in the smoker at 9pm, and if that math is right, that's unfortunately going to make it ready to get off the smoker at T+24 hours! Oops... I need to have this ready to serve for dinner tomorrow.

1. I carved off 4 pounds of extra fat from the packer. Does that brisket math of 1.25 hours/pound account for the pre-trimmed weight, or the post-trimmed weight?

2. If I need to speed this up by turning the smoker up to 250, should I do that now, or after the wrap?

Thank you in advance for your help, breathren!!

No need for 225...250-275 will give you great results with less time and less stress.

Agreed. Cooking hotter and faster also gives you time for a proper hold. I’d get your heat up now and probe early in the afternoon.

Prime is more forgiving. I like to reach 175F and hold overnight (8 hours or more) You don't need to reach 200+ , you just need to reach a temp that starts breaking down fat (175F) and hold it there for enough time. Wrapping is a must. Or you will end up with dry brisket.

If you’re using a pellet grill with a diffuser plate in close proximity to the grate you’re cooking the brisket on, AND you cook it at higher temps (250-275*+) be careful the radiant heat from the metal diffuser plate does not scorch the underneath of your brisket. Guessing I’d you’re “turning the smoker up” it’s probably a pellet grill?

275 and boat it at 165. Spray once an hour. Probe tender. Slide in oven at 170 and hold till dinner

Back