MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Brisket & Pork Burnt Ends - with pR0N

Mornin', folks.

Dragged myself out of bed, made coffee, and ate a bite before replenishing our nonexistent supply of homemade rub and going to buy meat.

Brisket is still expensive out here, but Momma threw down the gauntlet last night. Also grabbed a pork butt to try my hand at a small batch (about 1/2 the shoulder) of pork burnt ends (thanks to Blu and others for the help).

I decided to try some Texas Pete slather and some Oakridge Competition Beef & Pork on these bits.

Looks pretty darned good, if I do say so.

They're back in the fridge for a few minutes before I take 'em out to the hickory sauna.

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the hot sauce slather, but Frank's hot sauce. Can't wait to see the results. I got a full brisket thawing out now for a Tuesday cook. I was hoping I would catch a ride down there for work soon, but didn't happen.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
SmittyJonz

This is How I do Pork Burnt Ends.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=182490

Old 05-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
ShadowDriver

Thanks, Smitty.

I'd tossed around a few different options, and ended up going with the "pre-chop" method so I can get more bark formation on the bits... at least that was my plan going in.

I'll smoke these for about 2-3 hours until they have some good bark and color on 'em before panning, tossing in a drizzle of sauce, and adding some more rub. Then, Blu suggested putting them back in for about 2 more hours.

If you (plural) have thoughts on break points for panning 'em and then for completion, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to wing it and see how it turns out.

COS - Would be nice to do a mid-week cook... but those are rare in my life. Sorry that you couldn't hop down here for work. I find myself up your way more often, but only stopping briefly on the taxiway.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
ShadowDriver

Got some nice color on these kids, so I pulled them into a pan.

Took 'em inside for a quick toss in Jim's Own Sauce (Hot) - Thanks to NCGrimbo and last fall's sauce trade session!

They're back in the sauna for another couple of hours as they continue to render and get more tender.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Look great so far! Can't wait to see the finish!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
Fwismoker

Oh crap I'd tear those up Marc...dang

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

Wing it is always a good choice. Looks good, nice color.
My midweek cook is for my wife's friend from Canada, doing a brisket for her.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 AM   #9
ShadowDriver

Pork Burnt Ends are done.

I let them sit in the pan until they crisped up and my chunky toothpick went through 'em like a hot knife though butter.

I think next time, I might try some brown sugar on them, and perhaps something a bit more spicy.

Now... time to pay more attention to this brisket flat. Hoping it'll probe tender in about... 45 minutes so I can rest it a couple of hours before dinner.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

looks good from here

Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #11
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Love me some Saturday morning Shadow fix. Those chunks of porky goodness look some kind of deelishuss!
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Love me some Saturday morning Shadow fix. Those chunks of porky goodness look some kind of deelishuss!
I chuckled when I fired up the smoker this morning and thought about me posting today's cook... knowing that you'd be around about now.

Hope this finds you well.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #13
ShadowDriver

Brisket flat's not there yet. Gave it a good probing.

Thinner bit is nearly there. Thicker bit needs a while yet.

Think I'll mix up a Manhattan and sip on that until the next time I check on her.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:37 AM   #14
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I chuckled when I fired up the smoker this morning and thought about me posting today's cook... knowing that you'd be around about now.

Hope this finds you well.
Doing quite well thank you. Yes sir if I'm not around here on a Saturday morning it is because my boss has me on an assignment in some uncivilized backwoods hole with no cell or internet service.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 02:40 AM   #15
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I have never eaten Pork burnt ends, but they look like meat candy.
I can only imagine

Tags
brisket, Oakridge Rub, pork burnt ends, pork butt