Freezer life

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I'm getting ready for my big cook tomorrow. Its been a while, thats for sure. I have two boston butts that I bought back in Feb 08. They were immediately taken home and put into a chest freezer where they haven't been touch till yesterday. They were put into the fridge to thaw, and tonight I took them out of the cryovaced package. One of them had a very, very strong smell to it. Do you think it could have gone bad in the freezer?

I know it spent a solid 6 months in the deep freeze, but I thought that would be ok. Any advice or solid knowledge on Pork freezer life?

Smell is an indicator for me. When in doubt throw it out.

That said I think someone around here smoked a 4 year old brisket. Not sure how it smelled.

Six months is at the far end of what is recommended for well wrapped pork according to theotherwhitemeat dot com.

http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/aspx/all_about_pork/PorkDetails2.aspx?id=23

I would trust my nose on this one and toss it.

Ya thats what I was begining to think. Funny though, they were both bought at the same time, and only one of them smells funky.... I think I"m just gonna throw them both out to be safe, the $25 bucks it will cost is well worth the peace of mind.

Sure is a shame to lose them like that, but I think you are smart to toss 'em both.

yeah if it dont pass bird dog test pitch it. Prolly wouldnt make you sick just wouldnt be very good

You also gotta consider, what did it smell like when you put it in. Since it was cryo-ed you can't be sure it was great when you left the store with it. I have had a couple of occasions where I got home with one of those three packs of BB's from Sam's to find them pretty stinky... I went right back and now I pull them out of the cryo to check even if I'm going to freeze 'em.

Wash the meat under cold running water. Slight mucous is normal, but watch for clingy stringy stuff. Pat dry. Check texture for mushiness (a sign of spoilage). Repeat the smell test.

It wasn't completly thawed. They were put into the fridge Thursday at 6:00am as I left for work, I pulled them out of the cryovac to check them out yesterday around 7:30PM, so they had be thawing for about 36 hours. They were set to go on the smoker today. I tossed them last night and had the wife pick some up on her way home from the movies last night (girls night out).

Normally if I put them in on a thursday morning, they are good to go on saturday.

Back