MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default OK Joe Smoker at Lowes. Anyone have one?

Anyone have experience with the OK Joe's smoker at Lowes? For $550 seems like it has a lot of room and options. I like the vertical verticalness of it with the extra shelves.

Here to buy a replacement garage fridge as my current one I had for like 8yrs finally died and wanted by smokers since I might get a new one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Jo...ker/100101149220210620_094425.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Dread Pirate Roberts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I bought one of those a while back and ended up returning it. I had 2 big issues with it:

1. It kept tripping the GFCI on my patio. I verfied all the wiring, directly plugged it in, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing else I've plugged in there has done that, including my current O.G. Grilla. They sent me a new ignitor and control board, but nothing fixed that.

2. I had a very large temp difference in the chamber from left to right - like 50 degrees +. It was also really easy to burn the bottom of whatever you were cooking if you put it right on the bottom grill because of that fire pot design for searing. The sear function worked really well, though.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I bought one of those a while back and ended up returning it. I had 2 big issues with it:

1. It kept tripping the GFCI on my patio. I verfied all the wiring, directly plugged it in, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing else I've plugged in there has done that, including my current O.G. Grilla. They sent me a new ignitor and control board, but nothing fixed that.

2. I had a very large temp difference in the chamber from left to right - like 50 degrees +. It was also really easy to burn the bottom of whatever you were cooking if you put it right on the bottom grill because of that fire pot design for searing. The sear function worked really well, though.
Great feedback. I wondered how well the sear part worked.

Right now both my pitbosses are being finicky. I've replaced the hot rods and still getting a tripping gfci too. Might need to get new control boards.

Anyways, it's why I'm looking for something else.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
16Adams

Charcoal-wood chunks and splits don’t trip gfi’s
No extension cords either.

I’m guessing you already possessed this knowledge
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Jason, it might be time for one of those gravity fed smokers that are out, either the Char-Griller or the Masterbuilt. You may be happier with either of those.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
16Adams

On a serious note, my venture into Pellet Grills lasted 11 months. A GMG Davy Crockett. A powerful small cooker that I used the beejesus out of. It’s small, low cost but not a cheaply made piece of equipment. They’re nice. About 300

Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Charcoal-wood chunks and splits don’t trip gfi’s
No extension cords either.

I’m guessing you already possessed this knowledge
My shirley, drums and egg are pretty sad these days.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
16Adams

I'm about to ride bike and wife will load the Saigon Chick
After thin blue appears
There are advantages to lighter cookers

Last edited by 16Adams; 08-15-2021 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Jason TQ

Quote:
On a serious note, my venture into Pellet Grills lasted 11 months. A GMG Davy Crockett. A powerful small cooker that I used the beejesus out of. It’s small, low cost but not a cheaply made piece of equipment. They’re nice. About 300
I might get that to replace my potboss tailgater. It's even more portable and lighter.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Jason, it might be time for one of those gravity fed smokers that are out, either the Char-Griller or the Masterbuilt. You may be happier with either of those.

From experience with 2 pellet grills, the MB 560 and the CG 980...yes, 100%.

Also, if I was looking for another pellet grill (which I wouldn't), I would just find a decent used one for half the price and call it a day. There's a million of them out there.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

...tailgating being the one exception to my rule. :) That unit is perfect for it.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I'd be tempted to try a pellet cooker except that I keep hearing about myriad issues. As near as I can see the only advantage is ease - set it and forget it. If I have to be making sure it's operating correctly I'd rather use charcoal or sticks. My PK and Open Range both run with very little intervention.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
I'd be tempted to try a pellet cooker except that I keep hearing about myriad issues. As near as I can see the only advantage is ease - set it and forget it. If I have to be making sure it's operating correctly I'd rather use charcoal or sticks. My PK and Open Range both run with very little intervention.
This is the first I've had a few issues in the 2 years I've had the 4 different pellet pit bosses I've owned. With kids my mindset has certainly shifted . Turning the dial is just so easy. Same reason I just bought a gasser grill.

I'm starting to use my drums a smidge more as they are pretty set and forget.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post

I'm there with you Mik. Only difference is that I have real world experience from having jumped on the Traeger pellet craze back in the early 2000's. Myriad problems, some self inflicted, and no smoke flavor knocked the bloom off the vine. Thank goodness the price point is so high on the MAK or I'd be lured back into the pellet world.

Sorry to hijack the thread Jason. You should love the Weber. Can't help with the Oklahoma Joe Pellet grill though.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote