Brisket Advise

MFL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some advise on the brisket cooks. I have only cooked about 10 in my BBQ life so learning all the time. I have tried hot & fast and also 225 deg. I have used my Shirley and also LSG IVC. I always tried hot & fast with my Shirley because I had to continue feeding sticks and baby sit the cook. Now that I am cooking on the LSG IVC I usually cook through the night as it holds temps incredibly well and allows us to eat dinner at a normal time without me starting real early or through the night.
My question is in regards to finish temperature or probe tender. I totally get the probe tender and my briskets have been awesome. Very happy with how they are turning out but wondering if they can be better. What I am seeing is my briskets get to about 196-198 and they probe like butter. I consider them done. But the last 2 cooks I let them go to see if they get even better. I am seeing my temps drop to around 180-190 even after an additional 2-3 hours. I also don't think they get better by the probe like butter method.
Am just not letting them go long enough? If I am cooking at 225 degree will they never get to 203 degree internally? Should I quit worrying about the internal temp of the meat? They cut fantastic, have a nice bark and pass the pull test perfectly.

I will add that 203 isn't magic. If you're happy with what you described as "pass the pull test perfectly" then maybe it ain't broke...
Give yourself the credit you deserve.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If you get probe tender and you’re totally happy with the results when you use that as your guide, I’m not seeing the problem. If anyone pulls a brisket at 203* it’s completely dumb luck if it’s also perfectly cooked when slicing IMO. This “203*” thing is a huge pet peeve of mine.

If you cook at 225* long enough your brisket will eventually reach 225*, it just takes incrementally longer the closer the IT gets to the cooker temp. I don’t see any reason your IT would ever drop after the stall when it cools because of evaporative effect on the surface.

Hold wrapped I’m foil and towel in cooler for 3-5 hours. I used cambro now how\tel pan wrapped in foil

I’m thinking of cooking to 190 next go round and then wrapping in plastic wrap and hold at 180 for atleast 6 hours.

Back