MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Time to get into the bourbon....starting with an old fashioned. I almost always drink whiskey either straight or just a couple cubes of ice so I'm trying to branch out.

Brisket only came up 3* in the flat and 4* in the point over the last hour...I'd say we are entering the stall.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
sudsandswine

I moved the brisket to the oven around midnight, foil panned it with a little bit of the Minor's au jus mix in the bottom and set the temp to 215*. Woke up around 6am and the meat temp was about 207* and probing like buttah, so I lowered the oven temp to 170* and am going to let it glide down to a 2 PM serve time.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #18
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looking Good
I like your choice of Bev
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #19
sudsandswine

Well the brisket turned out pretty delicious, it was held in the oven at 170* until about 2 hours before I served it, at which time it went into the Cater Gator so I could crank the oven heat up for the beans.

I found a 1.5lb vacuum pack of wagyu cubed point in the deep freeze. I remember cooking this one last year and the point ended up needing more time to render, so it was a perfect candidate for baked beans to release its fatty wagyu goodness into.

The brisket was super moist and tender, I had to slice it pretty thick but it made for great sandwiches and the point was nice and melted into delicousness. Almost no smoke ring to be found, but the flavor was there. May not be the prettiest brisket I've ever cooked but it ate well. The Shirley would've taken it to another level but I was pretty happy with how it turned out given the minimal effort I put into it.

about 23 hours in at this point

Nice bark, super moist and tender

Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #20
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

Perfecto, including the Old Fashioned....

Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #21
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'd be proud to serve that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #22
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Nicely done! Grub looks killer.

Like your style with the old fashioned...
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #23
smokin'hoogie
Full Fledged Farker

suds, did you "muddle" the orange slice and cube of sugar, or did the cocktail not make it to the stage before being slammed?

nice cook!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #24
sssSmoking
Knows what a fatty is.

so maybe I missed it but what time did this monster go on the Smoker? I see where it was done at 6:00 am.
I was also wondering what type of fire management, fans or app were you using.
Thanks

Old 07-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #25
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Nice cook!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #26
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Heck yeah!
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #27
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssSmoking View Post
so maybe I missed it but what time did this monster go on the Smoker? I see where it was done at 6:00 am.
I was also wondering what type of fire management, fans or app were you using.
Thanks
From 2 PM until 12 AM on the Primo XL running at 240* using a Flame Boss 300 temp controller, then from 12 AM to 6 AM in the oven at 215*, then at 6 AM I dropped the oven temp to 170* to begin the hold. The brisket stayed in there until 12 PM, then it spent the next 2.5 hours in a Cater Gator holding cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'hoogie View Post
suds, did you "muddle" the orange slice and cube of sugar, or did the cocktail not make it to the stage before being slammed?

nice cook!
Nah, I just kind of threw it all in the bottom and swirled it together with some ice and called it good enough

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

It’s around 9 AM and
I’m feeling a little woosey from the beef and bourbon show you posted. Thanks for that.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote