MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #76
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
No. Most drums these days use diffusers and you can dial in your temp for smoking.
I respectfully disagree, Bubba. I see very few drum users with a diffuser. And while it is possible to control the temps with a drum, It seems that you could do that with a PBC as well, but most don't see the need to. In fact, the PBC seems to cook in the same temp range that most guys on this forum run their drums, so I was just curious as to why you classify this as a grill and a UDS as a smoker. It really doesn't matter what you call them. They both produce good food and both have a place in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Okay, diffusers on a drum is for another thread,
Agreed... Back to discussing the cooking characteristics of the PBC and I'm sorry for the slight derailing

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #77
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Could you all provide info on the other things like the rubs, hooks, grate, and the hook tool? Functionality, maybe some reviews about the rubs. That hook tool looks so simple and so cool!
I would say the rub is pretty good it comes with 2 4.7 ounce shakers of "all purpose" and "beef & game" the all purpose is just easy going and the beef has a little more bite to it. I am not a rub aficionado by any means going on smell alone I like the beef and game.

The hooks are stainless steel and stout. No rocket science here works great and really strong. Note one side is sharpened so be cautious when stabbing meat if your not paying attention you may receive an unwanted hole.

The grate well its a stainless steel grate just like the weber ones " I might just be"

And the hook tool.. I tell ya when I pulled it out oh the packaging I said to myself.. You have got to be kidding me really? I was the most unimpressed I have been unwrapping the unit. I thought this little thing is going to break or the eyelet is going to fall out for sure.. Well I have used it a lot since getting te cooker and I have to tell you its one cool little hook haha very stout and very very helpful!!

All in all every piece that comes with the PBC it a very good piece of bbq equipment that I enjoy having!!

And yes the rebar.. its rebar nothing special.. want more info pull up the MSDS at your local home depot haha
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #78
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

As for the rubs, they are OK. Not top shelf by any means but still usable and tasteful. I like the all purpose more than I do the beef and game. That's just my tongue though.

The hook tool works well. It makes it very easy to pull out chicken and even whole racks of ribs without the need for a fire glove. I did attempt pulling off one of the hooks with just a fire glove and it was a bit cumbersome. The hook grabber is a nice touch. The grate does fit my 18.5 kettle and is the exact size as the weber grate.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #79
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestsmokeboy View Post
You guys Kill me!! The PBC It's just a smaller version with a few differences of a UDS! Why all of this nonsense picking it apart. It's really no different than making a few mods on your UDS. If you have built your UDS and like it who cares. The smaller version of the WSM with the steamer on the small weber nobody made such a big stink out of it....and how it was so much different than a real WSM...everyone thought it was soooo cool... so why the PBC.? I mean Really!. This thread really ought to be sunk in the ground. I am not a pitmaster by any means and don't pretend to be a scientist... but I have been Qing for at least 30 years before I came upon this site. I have gained a lot of tips and insight about great BBQ here but this thread is really grating upon my nerves. Yes I own A PBC. Thank YOU! Hey take a break.
If you are under the impression that every thread in the forum is here to please, you, specifically, then you are sadly mistaken. The cure for "grated nerves" is leave the thread and don't read it. Don't read any other threads you don't like either. As a matter of fact, use the Ignore feature if you feel the need. It's attitudes and posts like yours, that sink threads.
At some point, hopefully you will also gain a better understanding that this place is MORE than just tips and insight.
Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-30-2013 at 09:49 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #80
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
If you are under the impression that every thread in the forum is here to please, you, specifically, then you are sadly mistaken. The cure for "grated nerves" is leave the thread and don't read it. Don't read any other threads you don't like either. As a matter of fact, use the Ignore feature if you feel the need. It's attitudes and posts like yours, that sink threads.
At some point, hopefully you will also gain a better understanding that this place is MORE than just tips and insight.
Bob

Staying on topic though, I've been thinking about this brisket conundrum and whether to hang vertical or horizontal. In the PBC video Noah hangs it vertical but in the pork but video he hangs it with 2 hooks to hang it basically sideways. What if you did that with a brisket? It wouldn't be hung flat like it was sitting on a grate but would be hung more like it was sitting in a rib rack. What say you brethren?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #81
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
After reading all of the back and forth regarding the Pit Barrel Cooker I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

I went ahead and ordered one to add some additional smoking capacity to my back deck, and the $104 off coupon code sealed the deal. The cooker arrived a few days ago (4 days after ordering), and it is a quality product. Well made, well packaged, and easy to set up.

For my fist cook I prepared Tri Tip. It was very good. Not the best I've ever made, but very tasty.

Last night I cooked two chicken halves and it was the best chicken I've ever made. Very tender, juicy and flavorful.

This weekend will be ribs (with pron).

I realize that this cooker isn't for everyone, but it definitely fills a niche in my backyard.

It's very simple to use and so far my results have been great. For me it will be my go-to chicken cooker, and for that alone it was worth the investment.
That's exactly what I explain to people when they come over to our house and ask why I have SO many different grills, smokers, griddles, plow discs, etc! Each one has it's own purpose.................at least to me any way! I can see the PBC filling a niche!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-30-2013 at 11:56 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #82
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I agree with Bob that the PBC fills a niche in my smoking arsenal. I had read here that the PBC was well made and I liked the price. So I bought it. Now when I have family and friends over I can hang my meat on the PBC. I'm sure they will ask why is hanging meat is better than laying flat on one of my other smokers. My response will be something like well " I have found that when the ambient temp outside is between 46-78 and due the smaller size of the PBC which creates a convection cooking enviroment in this temp range. The meat will be more moist,tender and flavorful by hanging the meat. They will be mezmorized and look at me like I am some BBQ guru and nod there head in understanding. Now I will get a chuckle every time I remember this for the next couple of weeks. And that my friends is why the PBC is well worth my $225 investment for me. Besides that it does produce some pretty damn good Q.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #83
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to say, I am intrigued by how the ratio between diameter and height might affect the cook. When I look at N8man's ever growing UDS, I can't help but wonder if he isn't creating a very different cooking environment, and then I wonder, how might my Weber dome lid with normal venting be affecting my cooking, and maybe a chimney would be better. Does a flat top work like a Coquotte lid, trapping moisture and creating a moister cooking environment, as opposed to the dome that moves water to the edge.

I think the reason you would do a butt with two hooks, and horizontal, is what i discovered when trying to hang a butt for smoking, as it gets close to being done, the structural integrity of the pork is lost, and it tears under it's own weight. I still think hanging lengthwise maximizes the benefit of a tall cooker. Just as Paul Kirk's Klose pit does.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #84
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
The grate does fit my 18.5 kettle and is the exact size as the weber grate.
I thought i had read somewhere that the grate was actually 17.5 inches.

I wonder if the weber 18.5 inch lid fits it, and if so, how it performs.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #85
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
I thought i had read somewhere that the grate was actually 17.5 inches.

I wonder if the weber 18.5 inch lid fits it, and if so, how it performs.
Well I don't think the weber grate is actaully a full 18.5 inches. That, I think, is the diameter of the kettle which is bigger than the grate. Either way, the grates are the same size.

And because you sparked my curiousity, I braved the 25*F cold in my tshirt and headed out to the shed to check and see if the weber lid fits. Turns out, it doesn't, but just barely. A little bending of the lip on the kettle lid and she'd fit like a glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130130_204330_832.jpg (27.4 KB, 371 views)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #86
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm gonna cut to the chase.

What size hole is the intake vent opening and what is the "factory setting?"

I got the rest figured out, the hard part will be scoring a open 30 gallon drum.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #87
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post

I got the rest figured out, the hard part will be scoring a open 30 gallon drum.
Good luck finding the drum - can't be had for love or money in these parts. I bought one from zorotools.com - unlined. Forgot how much it was ... maybe $60 total shipped to my door? I had a hankering for a midi UDS so I sprung the $ for the drum.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #88
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post

Intake is like 3". Good luck finding a 30gal drum though. I have a hunch you will have to buy one new from a distributor for $60-$100.

I did have an idea today though. What if you took a 100 gal propane tank, cleaned it out, and built a version of the PBC. You could put it on legs and mount a firebox underneath and the cut a door in the side. Cut some holes to slide some rebar through and BAM! You've got an ugly offset pit tank. UOPT

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #89
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

What is everyone using for a cover for the Pit Barrel ??
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #90
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
What is everyone using for a cover for the Pit Barrel ??
Haven't tried it yet but I have heard a cover for a 18.5 weber will do a decent job.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker