Pellet smokers 2018 questions

You can get all of the smoke you want from a pellet pooper. Mine is above your quoted price range, but GMG is fine. All that you need is a https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M. You can light one end and it will snake around, or if you want heavier smoke, light all three ends. Just the pellets alone will not give you the smoke flavor I think you are desiring. I have two of those A-Maze-N smokers, and will light them both off in a snake method when cooking brisket. Plenty of smoke flavor without overwhelming the meat. Good luck.

If you are saying there is no such thing as too much smoke, a pellet smoker is not likely for you. The ones I have used and own are lighter than my stumps gravity feed, wsm, kamados with lump and chunks, and stickburner was. That being said, I really liked the yoder and I love my Memphis Elite pellet cookers

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am going to make the purchase of something soon. I am leaning a little towards Grilla Grills Silverbac. Would love to get a Rec Tec but the model I want won't ship until October. I am not the most patient person in the world. I want to be using one in the next couple of weeks. I know I won't get as much smoke as I want but I think there are ways of getting enough added. I will be getting the Amazen Tube. Will smoke at a lower temperature to keep the smoke coming and will be spraying the meat with something to add moisture to get the smoke to stick better.
Not going to let go of my last WSM because I know I can get amazing smoke flavor with it.
I do want to thank everyone who has weighed in. And Smitty, I am with you. I don't need a pellet pooper, I just want to try one. My wife is willing to spend the money for my birthday so I can't let her down. LOL

I am going to make the purchase of something soon. I am leaning a little towards Grilla Grills Silverbac. Would love to get a Rec Tec but the model I want won't ship until October. I am not the most patient person in the world. I want to be using one in the next couple of weeks. I know I won't get as much smoke as I want but I think there are ways of getting enough added. I will be getting the Amazen Tube. Will smoke at a lower temperature to keep the smoke coming and will be spraying the meat with something to add moisture to get the smoke to stick better.
Not going to let go of my last WSM because I know I can get amazing smoke flavor with it.
I do want to thank everyone who has weighed in. And Smitty, I am with you. I don't need a pellet pooper, I just want to try one. My wife is willing to spend the money for my birthday so I can't let her down. LOL

Hmmmm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_UVCVRbOSA

I love my GMG DB. Use it all the time. I use only lumberjack 100% hickory pellets.

Be aware. Not all pellets are equal. The package may say 100% hardwood, which they are, but there's a base wood of 60-70% and the rest is the flavor wood. Getting a pellet that is 100% hickory, maple, ECT definitely helps with the smoke profile. I also use the amzen tube to add to the profile. I tried the maze that was mentioned above, but it won't stay lit in temps over 175*. The tube was developed for hotter temps, and I've used it with great results with temps as high as 300*.

I usually smoke at 275F, and my maze works just fine at that temp. The trick is to make sure it is lit well. I use a torch.

Just saw an ad on CL- Lumberjack $20 for 40# sack.

Your top 3 blends???

I usually smoke at 275F, and my maze works just fine at that temp. The trick is to make sure it is lit well. I use a torch.

As do I. Just won't stay lit. Tried everything from nuking the pellets to insure they are dry, to lighting both ends. I've tried placing it in various locations and different brands of pellets.

I even called the owner of the product and he told me that it was designed to work best at temps below 175*. Glad you are having better luck with yours. Mine is used for cold smoking only.

I have found the key to keeping the maze lit is to allow the pellets to burn about 10 minutes before blowing out the flames. Even at that point, the flames should reappear if you blow on the smoldering pellets.

I had problems keeping the maze lit when cold smoking in th BGE at sub freezing temperatures. I placed an outdoor flood light in the bottom of the egg to provide some heat which presumably kept the pellets from being so cold they had difficulty igniting.

Two weeks ago I got 12 hours of uninterrupted smoke from a pound of pellets with the maze at the bottom of my PBC when smoking 20 pounds of bacon. Outside temp was about 90 degrees.

Thanks for the post! I plan on getting the Amazen Tube. Anything to get more smoke flavor is all for me. I am keeping one of my Weber WSM's just in case I need to do a large amount of meat with the smoke profile I want.

Just saw an ad on CL- Lumberjack $20 for 40# sack.

Your top 3 blends???

If you have an Atwoods near by, they are $9 20lbs here in OK. My 2 favoirtes are the 100% hickory and mesquite blend. I use cherry and apple sometimes too. Would like to try the pecan and charhickory.

If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.

Smoke Daddy has Charcoal Pellets....... Smoke ring doesn’t have anything to do with Smoke Flavor - it just looks Good.

If not for the lack of smoke ring i would love a pellet smoker. My question is this, If OP's main issue is smoke flavor, why not just add more smoke via other sources. My understanding is that pellet smokers burn clean and give a subtle blue smoke. Like i said, thats exactly what i want, but they don;t produce a smoke ring i get from charcoal. I might eventually buy one just to run charcoal for the first hour and switch to pellets for the subtle smoke flavor.

I think there are a few people on here, that might disagree with your assessment. Not sure where that rumor came from, but it is BS.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262419

Back