Charcoal question

Blizzard

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First, I never use lighter fluid. But I bought a bag of Kingsford “Cherry” charcoal. My wife accused me of using lighter fluid after tasting the burgers I cooked.

Day 2: Same technique same grill: I tried a bag of Stubbs and added a lump of pecan wood. To both of us, the flavor was greatly improved. The chicken did have a nice smoky flavor from the pecan, But no noticeable “chemical flavor”

I still have one more bag of “Cherry” left. Should I call Kingsford and complain? I bought it at Lowe’s but don’t keep receipts....

Do y’all think this Kingsford “Cherry” could have made the chemical taste?

I bet being accused of cheating would have hurt less :heh:

I’m in the camp where I cannot distinguish the chemical smell from KBB and its line up. It’s what I grew up with.

I have never used the cherry kind, and it has been a long time since i bought Kingford. 4 or 5 years ago, I aquired a half bag of briquets with mesquite chips in it from my bro-in-law. He doesnt use lighter fluid either, but they didnt like the "chemical" flavor that the food had. (I never used them because my wife didnt want weird tasting food) We have a lot of peeps who like Stubbs too. I have used that recently and had good luck.

I don't have an issue with KBB others do, so I can't help. But there are people who do not like KBB. I doubt complaining will do any good. I'd just toss the bag and call it a loss

Make sure you burn it down so it's completely ashed over before cooking...if that's still not acceptable, toss or gift.

Thank you. Yes I normally use Kingsford and always wait until it ashes over and turns grey. It’s the first time I’ve used the “Cherry” flavor.

I think I’ll toss it and go buy some more Stubbs charcoal.

Thanks for all the answers!

One more comment, question.....

Years ago I bought a bag of kingsford mesquite and it was only 1 out of maybe 7 coals that were actually the mesquite coals. Is the cherrywood is mixed in to every coal? not just some you could pick out.

I use Kingsford Comp. the majority of the time for grilling on my Webers and smoking in my Assassin. I recently bought a bag of Kingsford Pecan from WM, and have used it for grilling and smoking, on the Webers. I have not noticed any odd smells or flavors from the Pecan.

I always use lump (and I bet you'd like it better if you liked the Stubbs vs 'cherry' Kingsford), but if I were going to use briquettes I'd get the most plain/regular type available. If you want to add smoke (cherry, apple, hickory, whatever) just use real wood.

Yes, I think plain charcoal and then add wood chunks is the way to go.

The “Cherry” Kingsford has charcoal with bits of wood mixed into the briquettes. You couldn’t pick them out.

I’m going to set the remaining bag aside and use it in my fire pit this fall, when we can sit outback and just have a fire with which to drink a glass of wine....

You know, the more I use this forum to both read and ask some questions, the more I like it. It’s actually a very nice forum. Not burdened down with advertising and not a lot of cussing. I talk on a gun forum also, and on that one, cussing is prohibited altogether....

Thanks!

Probably the "cherry" mix in the briquettes. I use some plain KBB to start my smoker, then only wood after that, so I never notice any chemical or off taste.

Back