Saturday's brisket was weird

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
The briskets that I buy are USA Choice and always frozen so it's hard to check them out. I had bought one several weeks ago that looked ok, I thawed it lat week and trimmed it on Thursday evening. It was a bit of a mess. Started out at about 4.6kg and was left with just over 3kg. A LOT of really hard fat and a fairly thin flat. I seasoned it with SPOG and put it on the pellet grill on Friday night, to be served on Saturday. I was trying to get close to my best brisket to date so I was wrapping it in BP.

Saturday morning around 11am, I wrapped it in BP, thought it looked really good. Pellet grill had been running at 225, after wrapping I turned it up to 300. I checked a few times and around 3PM it was probe tender. I took it off and let it cool down for about 20mins before resting it in the oven. When I wanted to put it back in the oven, the flat had really tightened up, it felt dry although the whole brisket was looking very moist. [emoji35]

I put it in the oven at 140F and let it rest for 5hours. When I sliced it, the flat had somewhat softened up again, the first few cm were pretty dry but after that things got good and the point was fantastic. I didn't use a thermometer at all, just went by looks and feel, only used my thermapen to check for tenderness. Was pretty happy with how it turned out. It wasn't my best brisket but came pretty close THE ONE.

I picked up a Wagyu brisket on Thursday, price difference was not that big, will be cooked in a few weeks. Very curious how that's going to be.

bddadd7a9cb4e2b79751b485e8bd317b.jpg

da0ed0963f30e75f4b3a9c67fdb6d650.jpg

79c29fb0709fe410d7a2975a53aac1d9.jpg

7cfc608d6d0a3bd0a39a086bbad88956.jpg

Looks great from here, briskets are like people and some are just more stubborn than others.

Nice brisket! I never probe once it's pulled. They tighten up pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have only done 5 or 6 briskets and it's the 1st time I have noticed the flat to tighten up. I'm glad it turned out good in the end because we had friends over, who all do BBQ competitions :wacko: :mrgreen:

I have only done 5 or 6 briskets and it's the 1st time I have noticed the flat to tighten up. I'm glad it turned out good in the end because we had friends over, who all do BBQ competitions :wacko: :mrgreen:
No pressure... holy chit!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back