Larger meat cuts for one person

MountainMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm the only one in our family that eats meat.
I easily can deal with pulled pork, briskets and some roasts by using my vacuum sealer.

But how do I deal with things like Tri-Tip and such?

It seems wrong to slice them up before cooking.

Cook then eat what you can and vac seal the left overs. It's how I deal with it.

I'm the only one in our family that eats meat.
I easily can deal with pulled pork, briskets and some roasts by using my vacuum sealer.

But how do I deal with things like Tri-Tip and such?

It seems wrong to slice them up before cooking.

I mean, I would just eat the entire tri-tip personally :twisted:

Even with vac seal you still have very limited freezer space. Big problem for only one in the cabin.

Cook it, eat it.. leftovers get vacuum sealed... sous vide to reheat. Or slice really thin and make cold cut sammich!!

I mean, I would just eat the entire tri-tip personally :twisted:

I know someone who can do that, no joke. I can’t believe how much he can eat, oftentimes when he goes to someone’s house for dinner he’ll stop and get a burger on his way home because he’s still hungry.

Tri-tip isn't that big. Do people not eat leftovers anymore??
I live off re-heated leftovers most of the work week.

Same here, especially for lunches. Only time something gets frozen is if we can’t finish something before it goes bad. A tri tip has never been frozen... :razz:

I like leftovers pretty well... but usually not on the very next day. So that sort of limits how long I can eat off it before it goes "off". So it's eat it , freeze it or share- or some combo of the 3.

It's just me and the wife- I tend to share with my cross the street neighbor- he loves to see me traipsing his way with a foil packet in my hands.

I know someone who can do that, no joke. I can’t believe how much he can eat, oftentimes when he goes to someone’s house for dinner he’ll stop and get a burger on his way home because he’s still hungry.

Amazing how much some people can eat - around 6-8 ounces is usually plenty for me, but my stepson (college football player) could eat a whole tri-tip easily if I put it in front of him. He gets two steaks for dinner when he and his sister visit and he’s still the first one done.

Slice off what you want,freeze the rest whole.Reheat repeat.Keeps better frozen whole.Refreezing is not an issue no matter what some say.

Another idea, you could cut them in to steaks, pretty tasty when done right

You should see my 6 year old grandson eat. I ain’t kidding, that boy eats more than most adult men I know. And not an ounce of fat on the boy. He is solid muscle. He put me in the hospital emergency room with a dislocated thumb and he was not even 4 years old. Got to try morphine for the first time.

I've been known to grab pieces of tri-tip out of the fridge for snacks. Also makes for great beef sammiches with some horseradish sauce.

I don't think it's lasted more than a week at my house. If my son comes by, it's gone WAY earlier.

With Tri-Tip, I'll slice off what I want to eat, leave the rest whole and toss in the fridge in a container. Next day, I'm cutting deli thinnish slices and making cold sammiches. One large Tri-Tip usually doesn't make it past the second day in the fridge for me. I wouldn't think of freezing cuz then I have to thaw before eating the leftovers lol. Nothing finer for a quick lunch than a medium rare thin sliced cold Tri-Tip sammich.

I cook for two. But sometimes I have to call my son who lives less than 30 minutes away. He'll clean up any excess...

Cook it, eat it.. leftovers get vacuum sealed... sous vide to reheat. Or slice really thin and make cold cut sammich!!

THIS!

With your situation it’s totally worth having sous vide just for reheating small portions and a slicer isn’t a bad idea either.

Back