Homemade or Commercial Sauce at Comps

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Hey y'all,

Do you guys and gals use homemade sauce, modified sauce or straight commercial sauce for your competition turn-ins? Also, if you modify or use straight, what brand do you like best?

yes

yes

and yes...

depends on time.... i make my own if theres time before an event.. otherwise I use commerical or private label ones as a base and doctor them up.

What he said! However, I mostly use commercial stuff doctored to the way I like it. This way I can have a glaze for some entries, and sauce for others. I have 3 pots that live on the Lang firebox.

I'm agreeing with Phil... 3 Yes answers here. One thing I have learned over the years is that it's hard to go foul with sweet, at least in KCBS events within 225 miles of Kansas City. I have several sauces both homemade, and commercially available that I like- but judges don't. In Colorado, I've found the judges like a little heat with thier sweet!

I usually end up doctoring - to put a hint of flavors I like into what others like. Cattlemen's Gold is a good base, 4 Men and a Pig, Three little pigs.

If you want an idea what local judges in a new area might like, ask the grocer what the best selling sauce they have on the shelf is. It is pretty easily attainable info these days - thanks to bar code scanners. :eek:)
Use it as your base...

Alot of guys Doctor quality sauses and rubs to their liking
At the Rose Bowl I bet half the turnins were QN4U sause with a lil
touch of this or that.

Back