First Cook wih Naturiffic Harvest Brine & Hot Salt

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Naturiffic was the Q1 Throwdown sponsor :thumb: and yesterday I tried out John's Harvest Brine and Hot Salt. I thawed some boneless skinless chicken and dry brined them for about 2 hours. On three of them the only additional seasoning I added was some black pepper. The other two got some garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. I used the Hot Salt on the zucchini which was roasted sheet pan style with the cauliflower.

loTKWvm.jpg

I have a lot of experience with wet and dry flavor brining, and wet and dry curing brines. My first impression of Harvest Brine was very positive. It contains apple, sage and black pepper so it brings some balanced flavors to the party. The chicken retained it's natural moisture, which is the key to dry brining, and the added flavor was pretty darn good. From the wet finger test I'm guessing the salt content of Harvest Brine is 50% to 60%, which is actually good because when dry brining with 100% salt, you can easily over-do it.

The Hot Salt is spicy using the wet finger test, but it has flavor..... not just heat. The zucchini was excellent. I also used the Hot Salt in some scrambled eggs and liked the subtle back-flavor.

So, all in all.... so far so good.

Thanks for the review, glad you liked it!

Try that Harvest Brine on a pork loin or turkey, while it does a fine job with chicken, it shines even brighter on pork loin and turkey/breast.
I recommend 2.5- 3 hours per pound of meat on dry brining the larger cuts

Thanks for the review, glad you liked it!

Try that Harvest Brine on a pork loin or turkey, while it does a fine job with chicken, it shines even brighter on pork loin and turkey/breast.
I recommend 2.5- 3 hours per pound of meat on dry brining the larger cuts

You're welcome, I have a lot of exploring to do.

I've never used a dry brine 'formulation' with seasonings and a recommended amount per pound. It was always a sight kind of thing with a calibrated pinch, and often a coarse salt, sometimes even flakes of salt were used. My Grandmother called it "Koshering" when she did it on venison or game birds. And any flavorings came by way of a gravy because 'rubs' as we know them were not common.

Back