BBQ Chicken & Summer Veg on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just returned from a great (almost) week in Philly for a family wedding.

Both of us had a hankerin' for some barbecue chicken with summer veggies... especially some unexpected home-shelled & cooked black-eyed peas.

Thanks to a Trade Round of probably about a year ago, I've still got a bit of Charlie Mills BBQ Sauce left - What an awesome marinade for chicken thighs!

zxXzQkbh.jpg

I let the kids soak most of the day, then dried them on a rack for about an hour before using the Vortex in the 22 Kettle to cook 'em up over lump.

2pNQG4oh.jpg

The thighs were perfect - Crispy & Crunchy skin with lovely moist and flavorful meat underneath.

BossLady received some locally-farmed black-eyed peas that she shelled and cooked with a ham hock... shredded the ham hock, added some onion, and S&P. They were AWESOME - not mushy at all, and flavorful.

A hot house tomato (w/ S&P) and some homemade quick cucumber pickles rounded out the plate.

1hx0RbZh.jpg

This is the best mid-week dinner I've cooked in a long while (it's nice to be on leave)!

Y'all hang in there. Almost to the weekend!

Thin blue and kind regards.

Now that's a nice plate right there! Chix looks nailed, loving the size, and the portions are about what I need to be getting back to...

Based on your recommendation, I used that Charlie Mills sauce on a pig I cooked this weekend - very, very good results & I will definitely be using it moving forward. I hadn't really been one to toss PP in sauce before serving before, but I am now!

I will definitely check that out on some chix. I have a good size cook coming up which might involve lots of chix and this may come in handy as far as being economical and delicious.

Nicely done and again thanks for the heads up on the Charlie Mills! :clap2:

Every thing looks delicious but the crispy skin on those thighs is perfect!

Looks delicious. Is that pepper on those tomatoes? Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You get to BBQ

I get a hurricane

ugg

Hang in there, Zip. Fingers crossed you folks don't get it too bad. My folks are a just a few miles inland from you.

Is that pepper on those tomatoes? Well played.

I've always loved S & P on a sliced tomato... but I'm older now and I've upgraded to Pink Himalayan (Sea :loco:) Salt... and Tellicherry Pepper.

There's just something about fresh veg...

So BossLady has replaced CINCHOUSE? I hear ya, playa. :mrgreen:
That plate looks excellent. I'll take two.

Everything cooked to perfection! Those peas remind me of the days growing up when my dad always planted a garden and the veggies from it were a staple at our nightly meals. Simpler times back then. Thanks for the re-memories!

Back