Need Advice: GURU or Something Else?

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all and happy smoking. I'm thinking of getting a temp regulator for my Humphrey's Pint. I'm looking at the BBQ Guru but have No experience with them. The price isn't too much of a factor but I'd like to not go higher than the listed $240. Are there options I should be looking at? Do they seem to last?

Thanks.

I have two Gurus, one is a CyberQ Wifi and the other is a DigiQII. Both work great. The only thing with moving parts is the fan, and that is the space with any temperature control.

If you’re not in a hurry you will find them listed on here for sale fairly often.

I would go with the Guru fan and adapter. Then, I would purchase a FireBoard w/ the Drive cable . It's a sweet combo that works well!

I've never had issues regulating temperatures on my Humphrey's Down East Beast.

That said, I used to get up several times during the night just to double check. Consequently my middle of the night would also wake up my wife and anyone else in the house.

I was gifted a BBQ Guru Digi-Q DX-II. I have to say, I now sleep like a baby all night long, and I no longer have the desire to go check on the unit in the middle of the night.

While the unit meets my needs, You have to select the unit that meets your needs, not mine or someone else's needs.

Do your homework and compare features and if they will meet your needs.

Hi all and happy smoking. I'm thinking of getting a temp regulator for my Humphrey's Pint. I'm looking at the BBQ Guru but have No experience with them. The price isn't too much of a factor but I'd like to not go higher than the listed $240. Are there options I should be looking at? Do they seem to last?

Thanks.
I have 2 Guru's and and they work great, never had any problem with reliability.

I would avoid the ORIGINAL Tappeque. the software is glitchy and the display is extremely hard to read in direct sunlight. I'm sure the "Touch" model is better but I have not used it.

Rumor is Flame Boss has something new coming by years end. And I suspect ThermoWorks is working on something. I’d wait a little bit and see what shakes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try to get a FB 300 on sale (no longer on FB site but will still be fully supported) or wait for the FB 500. The 300 runs the pint as efficiently as an oven.

I would try to get a FB 300 on sale (no longer on FB site but will still be fully supported) or wait for the FB 500. The 300 runs the pint like as efficiently as an oven.

This is true. I’ve been running my Stumps for a year and a half with the FB300 and it works great.

300 and 200 are still on website, page 2 of available items.

Thanks all, especially for the insight that something new might be coming out soon. So, what is a fireboard? Is that the controller? I did a search but came up lame.

I have been using the DXII and pit viper fan on my Pint for 2 years without hitch. They have now come out with the DXIII and an new water resistant Pit Viper fan with a new damper system on it. Unless you need or just want WIFI that is the way I would go.

It can be used to control a fan. You'll need to add the Drive cable to do that. Otherwise, it works on its as a multiple probe thermometer. It's cloud-connected and there's an app for your phone so that you can monitor your temps from anywhere.

If you don’t care about WiFi I would get the guru. I’ve used them for 5+ years without a single failure, not even a probe. If you want WiFi I would suggest the fireboard or the smoke with the gateway. Never used the smoke so no feedback on that. I currently use the fireboard and I must say that between the quality of the unit and the app, it is fantastic. It’s great being able to go anywhere and still be able to see and control your cook. If you are really anal, you can then download the graphs in excel to save to your computer. I haven’t gotten to that point yet...

My experience is unlike those that posted above me.
Both guru and flameboss did not work ever for more than 5 hrs. Then the fan would be on. Even when 60* over temp. No matter what smoker I was using.
I can set my smokers, go to bed and sleep. Using manual control they hold temp better than using electronics.
But that is my experiences.

Fireboard

If you don’t care about WiFi I would get the guru. I’ve used them for 5+ years without a single failure, not even a probe. If you want WiFi I would suggest the fireboard or the smoke with the gateway. Never used the smoke so no feedback on that. I currently use the fireboard and I must say that between the quality of the unit and the app, it is fantastic. It’s great being able to go anywhere and still be able to see and control your cook. If you are really anal, you can then download the graphs in excel to save to your computer. I haven’t gotten to that point yet...

Hi Fireboards customer service is excellent..So is the Fireboard
DanB

I bought a Flameboss a few years ago and got maybe 1 successful cook out of it. I've had them replace each probe twice under warranty. And those don't work.

I would not recommend it. The customer service was pretty good, but I've had it with them now.

I bought a Flameboss a few years ago and got maybe 1 successful cook out of it. I've had them replace each probe twice under warranty. And those don't work.

I would not recommend it. The customer service was pretty good, but I've had it with them now.

If I had a dollar for every time I read that.

Back