• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tomahawk Steak on the kamado - epic cook - pr0n

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The last week has been a crazy ride - broke 3 ribs in an accident a week ago last Saturday so I spent the week dealing with a crazy amount of pain. Saturday my sister got hitched and I stood up in her wedding, wasn't going to let a few broken ribs get in the way of seeing my only sister get hitched and then Sunday was father's day of course but we spent the vast majority of the day down at my folks seeing family and friends from out of state.

On my way back home I had to make one stop - there is a little market that has tomahawk steaks and I remember seeing them last year about this time. We stopped in and sure enough they had a few left. It was too late Sunday evening to start the cook so I saved it until tonight...

2.61 pounds of yummy beef and bone...

Thickest steak I've cooked to date...

Seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Black Ops rub...

Added a little extra kosher salt...

This was my first attempt at a reverse sear - kamado singing along at 250...

On to the grill - this big girl ate up some grill space!

Internal temp at 110 - pulled and wrapped in foil...

Dome temp closing on on 600 - grate had to be knocking on the door of 675 or better...

Live action!

2 minutes later I flipped and seared the other side...

Ready to pull...

"Plated"

My Father's Day gift - steel Cardinal's sign my wife made for me, Northwoods Broadway jack my 2 year old picked out and a big 'ol chunk of beef. I'm a happy, happy man.

Nailed it on my first try...

The camera washed out the red a bit so I snapped one with my iPhone and it showed the true color a bit better...

And the best of all, I got my boy to finally try steak and he loved it. Hell I think he ate as much of it as I did. Here is the first piece - I had told him to chew it like a man...kid cracks me up!

If you made it this far...thanks for reading!

That looks amazing. I can't believe that was your first reverse sear. To paraphrase the immortal Cal Naughton Jr., you nailed that like a split hog!

Ouch man!! Sorry about the accident. Broken ribs are no joke. Killer steak to make for all the pain. :grin:

Back