MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Making Bacon

11 lb pork belly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171205_133759.jpg (57.5 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_133802.jpg (54.7 KB, 924 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_133826.jpg (29.4 KB, 924 views)
File Type: jpg 20171205_133828.jpg (55.1 KB, 924 views)

Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Good luck! Update during the process.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep us posted....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
brdbbq

2-3 LBS pork Belly
1/2 Cup Sugar (cane, Brown or coconut )
1 tbs Honey,or Maple syrup or Agave Nectar
2 tsb Sea Salt
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp curing salt (pink salt) Prague #1
1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
1 tsp White Pepper
1-2 tbs Apple Juice

Sriracha Lime infusion

Apply to belly vac seal marinate 7 days massage daily. Rinse then smoke till 150* IT. put in fridge for a day slice fry enjoy.

My first time and no condom....

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 AM   #5
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq View Post
2-3 LBS pork Belly
1/2 Cup Sugar (cane, Brown or coconut )
1 tbs Honey,or Maple syrup or Agave Nectar
2 tsb Sea Salt
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp curing salt (pink salt) Prague #1
1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
1 tsp White Pepper
1-2 tbs Apple Juice

Sriracha Lime infusion

Apply to belly vac seal marinate 7 days massage daily. Rinse then smoke till 150* IT. put in fridge for a day slice fry enjoy.

My first time and no condom....
I'm not finding fault with your bacon recipe, but if I were following this recipe for myself, I would have concerns about the amount of Cure #1 used. A single teaspoon of cure #1 is enough to cure 5 pounds of meat, you reference 2-3 pounds giving an average of 2.5 pounds of meat. Thus according to your post you are using twice the amount of cure required.

I would also be concerned with the amount of sugar vs the amount of salt at a 4.5 parts sugar to 1 part salt ratio (9 tablespoons of sugars vs 2 tablespoons of salt).

Salt is necessary to cure the meat. Salt helps to pull the moisture from the cells and dissolves the salt mixture and them distributes it back into the cell structure of the meat. So having the proper amount of salt is also critical.

While sugar is used to cut the sharpness of the salt in a cure, but your recipe is basically almost all sugar when compared to the other ingredients. Keep in mind that a lot of sugar can interfere with salt absorption and slow down the curing process.

I also highly advocate the use of a scale to weigh your ingredients according to the weight of the meat.

When curing, the items should be weighed (not measured) for accuracy, consistency, and food safety. Using the metric mode is much more accurate.

When making bacon use the following dry-cure ratios...

Cure #1 - the ratio is 0.25% (Multiplier .0025)
Salt - the ratio is 3% (Multiplier .03)
Sugar - the ratio is 1.25% (Multiplier .0125)

Weigh the pork belly in grams, record the weight and multiply using the above Multiplier to get the exact ratio for each ingredient.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-10-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
brdbbq

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I'm not finding fault with your bacon recipe, but if I were following this recipe for myself, I would have concerns about the amount of Cure #1 used. A single teaspoon of cure #1 is enough to cure 5 pounds of meat, you reference 2-3 pounds giving an average of 2.5 pounds of meat. Thus according to your post you are using twice the amount of cure required.

I would also be concerned with the amount of sugar vs the amount of salt at a 4.5 parts sugar to 1 part salt ratio (9 tablespoons of sugars vs 2 tablespoons of salt).

Salt is necessary to cure the meat. Salt helps to pull the moisture from the cells and dissolves the salt mixture and them distributes it back into the cell structure of the meat. So having the proper amount of salt is also critical.

While sugar is used to cut the sharpness of the salt in a cure, but your recipe is basically almost all sugar when compared to the other ingredients.

I also highly advocate the use of a scale to weigh your ingredients according to the weight of the meat.

When curing, the items should be weighed (not measured) for accuracy, consistency, and food safety. Using the metric mode is much more accurate.

When making bacon use the following dry-cure ratios...

Cure #1 - the ratio is 0.25% (Multiplier .0025)
Salt - the ratio is 3% (Multiplier .03)
Sugar - the ratio is 1.25% (Multiplier .0125)

Weigh the pork belly in grams, record the weight and multiply using the above Multiplier to get the exact ratio for each ingredient.
That's why I posted it. I read the prague powder label after reading the recipe. Things didn't add up. And total agree on metric scale. More Better

Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I could be wrong but I've always understood that using Cure#1 when hot smoking bacon is used to retain a nice red color and not necessary for the curing of the meat.

That said, the ratios that MadMan posted are what I use myself.
LordRiffenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Second on too much Prague #1. With 2.5# of belly you would only need 0.5 tsp (2.4 grams) which will give you around 125 ppm (100 being minimum and 200 maximum). Also, if the belly is an inch thick you should only need to cure 1.5 - 2.5 days. If it's 2 inches thick 5 - 7 days.

Last edited by Kimo1; 12-06-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
brdbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo1 View Post
Second on too much Prague #1. With 2.5# of belly you would only need 0.5 tsp (2.4 grams) which will give you around 125 ppm (100 being minimum and 200 maximum). Also, if the belly is an inch thick you should only need to cure 1.5 - 2.5 days. If it's 2 inches thick 5 - 7 days.
How do you it has cured enough ?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq View Post
How do you it has cured enough ?
Day per 1/4 inch from the middle.
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, I seriously learned alot in 10 posts on this thread.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
I could be wrong but I've always understood that using Cure#1 when hot smoking bacon is used to retain a nice red color and not necessary for the curing of the meat. ...
You are wrong, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
Be a little careful with that. First, it assumes that the cure is diffusing from both sides of the meat. That will not be the case if there is skin on one side.

Also, it doesn't always work. I recently had a piece of "picnic" pork that was about 2 1/2" inches thick with both sides exposed and after 11 days I still found a little uncured meat in the center. The 1/4" rule would have predicted that 5 days was adequate. I'm not sure what happened but I do know that curing the meat longer has no downside, while being in a hurry does. I typically do 7-9 days for pork bellies with both sides exposed and have never had a problem.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
I could be wrong but I've always understood that using Cure#1 when hot smoking bacon is used to retain a nice red color and not necessary for the curing of the meat.

That said, the ratios that MadMan posted are what I use myself.
I know many areas of Europe have unsmoked bacon (IE UK - Rashers, Germany - Bauchspeck, durchwachsener, Schinkenspeck) and is used for flavor in cooking.

After a recent trip to Europe, I realize your food purity laws are also something we could only wish for here in the US. It's a shame what we as American consumers have settled for. However the reason for the cure is two-fold...

1) Because of the extend time in refrigeration (7-10 days) cure #1 is used to prevent spoilage. Our store bought meats are trucked across country from processor, to warehouse, and then to store distribution, and our meat products are not as fresh as yours.

2) Because when smoking bacon, we usually smoke at a lower temperature gradually raising the smoker temperature over time to reach the finishing temperature of the bacon. The time in the smoker would allow the meat to be in the "danger zone" for 4 hours or more. I cold smoke my bacon for a minimum of 6 hours before applying heat, and many of us never exceed an IT of 125°.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-06-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
bonz50
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Tony

great thread!!!!! I've been wanting to do my own bacon for some time but I lack facilities and size for the process, but that is coming soon.

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
brdbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
Measure vac packed or free state ? Kidding